College radio correspondent Jennifer Waits joins for a discussion on the difficulty of claiming “firsts” in radio. Sparked by claims that WTBU in Boston was the first college station to stream online in 1999, Jennifer, Eric and Paul examine these kinds of proclamations.
Then Paul shares some low-power FM news from Los Angeles where the community spirit of creative cooperation and compromise is resolving a competition amongst 18 applicants for a single frequency in that city. Instead, at least a half-dozen new stations will go on the air, thanks to the efforts of the applicants, recently licensed stations, and volunteers from the LPFM advocacy group Common Frequency.
- WTBU Seeking Donations to Help Rebuild Fire-Damaged College Radio Station
- Chart Beat Podcast: WTBU’s Anne Donohue on What Makes College Radio Great & Former DJ Howard Stern’s Legacy
- Investigating Some Contenders for the Oldest Women’s College Radio Station
- Learn More About College Radio (including some of the oldest stations)
- History of the WXYC Streaming Simulcast
- LPFM Watch: Win-Win Resolutions in Massive Los Angeles MX Group