0 Responses to The Radio Survivor Guide to escaping mainstream radio

1. Jennifer Waits February 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

This is a great overview of sources for information about new music that isn’t typically heard on “mainstream radio.”

I’d be remiss in not adding that non-mainstream radio is alive and well. College and community radio stations are still an amazing way to discover new sounds and they deserve a listen.

The main reason that I’ve continued my involvement in college radio for so many years is that it’s the easiest way for me to learn about adventurous music. College stations are full of knowledgeable, passionate volunteer DJs crafting their own playlists simply out of their love for music.

Don’t be afraid of the left side of the radio dial… There’s magic to be found.

2. Helen Yamamoto February 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks, Jennifer! I should mention that I used to occasionally listen to KZSC while at UC Santa Cruz and that I do occasionally listen to some radio stations from the SF bay area, although I tend to only listen to the radio while driving.

An additional note for this blog:
    – Pandora apparently has a 40 hours/month limit (at least if you don’t want to pay for it). I’m relatively sure that this limit applies to computers only (not login info), which is somewhat odd, although I could be wrong. I just tried to access my account from a friend’s computer and was told that “this computer” has reached its 40-hr limit.

3. Helen Yamamoto February 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Grooveshark appears to be another form of internet radio, although I don’t personally use it.

4. Emo March 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

I didn’t quite get it 🙁

5. Matthew Lasar March 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

I didn’t quite get what you didn’t get (“it”).

6. Alexander September 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

forums that are over the identical matters? Thank you!