At the end of 2015, it looked like the University of Nevada-Las Vegas might hand over the keys to its radio station, KUNV-FM, to Nevada Public Radio. More than a year later the situation reversed course, with the university deciding to keep the station and increase student involvement. Our college radio watcher Jennifer Waits learned that advice from other thriving college stations was pivotal in creating the plan to revitalize KUNV. In particular, the station’s General Manager Frank Mueller relied on wisdom from George Bodarky, the News & Public Affairs Director at Fordham University’s WFUV. Seeing this as a teachable moment, we invited them both on this episode to share this success story with our listeners.
The advice for engaging students in radio and their community that Frank and George share is pertinent not just for college radio, but for community radio broadcasters and podcasters, too.
- WFUV, Fordham University
- Radio Station Visit #139: WFUV at Fordham University
- KUNV, University of Nevada-Las Vegas
- College Radio Watch: FM Revival in Texas, Nevada Public Radio Eyes KUNV, KJZC Donated to Chadron State College & More News
- Podcast #27 – Public Radio Bid for UNLV Station, Rdio Shutdown & Net Neutrality
- Podcast #28 – A Deep Dive into the Public Radio Bid for KUNV
- Podcast #77 – Trump’s FCC, Norway’s FM, UNLV’s KUNV & Live 365’s Comeback
- College Radio Watch: Pending WUMD Sale, KUNV Averts Takeover, CMJ Troubles and More News
- Podcast #51 – Carrier Current is Cool
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!