Top Menu

Equipment in WFUV live room. Photo: J. Waits

College Radio Watch: WFUV tour, 1980s College Radio Nostalgia and More News

This week I shared my report from my visit to public radio station WFUV in the Bronx. Based at Fordham University, the station airs a music-oriented format, with primarily local, professional show hosts. Celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, WFUV began as a student-focused college radio station, becoming a public station by the late 1980s. Although it’s professionally-run today, WFUV has a large crew of students working at the station, doing a variety of projects, from sports play-by-play to hosting a weekly Irish-themed show, to behind the scenes work in news and engineering/production.

It was reassuring for me to learn more about a public radio station on a college campus that actively engages college students. If you know of other examples of this type of collaboration with the campus community, let me know in the comments.

More College Radio News

The Hosts of WLUW’s “Abstract Science” Electronic Music Radio Show Reflect on its 20 Year History ahead of Episode 1000 (Chicago Reader)

Recording of WRAS Atlanta Shows Why 80s Were Golden Age of College Radio (LeeCo Web)

Junior Tuned in to Radio Experiences at Purdue’s WCCR (Purdue University)

Former WMUL Music Director Nathan Thomas Chats about College Radio and West Virginia Music Scene (West Virginia Public Broadcasting)

Rapper/Stand-up Comedian Chingo Bling started out as College Radio DJ Alter Ego (Rolling Stone)

Student at KBIA wins at Public Radio Competition (KBIA)

Promo – Episode #2 – “Oxford’s Radio Revolution: The Rise and Fall of Oxford Student Radio” (Brave New Radio)

Support from readers like you make content like this possible. Please take a moment to support Radio Survivor on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!

, , ,