The Chicago Independent Radio Project launched as an internet radio station nearly a decade ago, with a mission of bringing a truly independent music- and arts-focused community radio station to Chicago. Thanks to the Local Community Radio Act, which allowed the growth of low-power FM stations in the nation’s biggest cities—and a lot of hard work and organizing—CHIRP took to the Chicago FM airwaves on October 21 of this year.
Shawn Campbell, CHIRP’s founder and general manager, also was a strong proponent and activist to pass the LCRA and grow LPFM, leading efforts at the station to educate listeners and supporters to advocate for the expansion of community radio. She tells the story of the station’s founding and move to the FM dial, and also shares some practical advice for building, organizing and funding a sustainable community radio station.
- The Chicago Independent Radio Project
- LPFM News: Chicago Independent Radio Project To Take Off
- Radio Station Field Trip #105 – CHIRP Radio in Chicago
- Podcast #60 – Happy National Radio Day!
- Prometheus Radio Project
- Learn more about LPFM
- Spinning Indie Radio Station Field Trip to WLUW in Chicago
- Spinning Indie Radio Station Field Trip to WZRD in Chicago
- Radio Station Field Trip 7 – Northwestern’s WNUR
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!