Community radio stations cannot survive without fundraising. Ann Alquist provides fresh perspective on raising money, and provocative ideas on how better to put your money and efforts to work. She is the Co-Executive Director of community radio station KDHX in St. Louis, Missouri, and she joins us from the Public Radio Program Directors Conference in Pittsburgh. Ann also shares her biggest takeaways from the conference and explains how they’re relevant for community radio, not just public stations.
In College Radio Watch Jennifer Waits previews the upcoming College Broadcasters Inc student media convention, where she will participate in two presentations. Then she updates us on the FCC’s final rulings in the long-standing challenges against the sale and demise of San Francisco college station, KUSF, and Eric shares a fond memory of that station.
Matthew Lasar investigates this pressing question: Did Disco kill WABC Music Radio, or was a government decision requiring more media diversity to blame? And Paul wraps things up with his own memories of WABC’s last days of Top 40 broadcasting.
Do you know of an interesting community podcasting project? Is there something you’d like to tell our listeners about, or an opinion you’d like to share? Drop us a line to email@example.com.
The Radio Survivor podcast would be sustainable if every listener contributed just $1 a month. That’s all it takes! Please lend us a hand by supporting our efforts with a monthly contribution to our Patreon fundraising campaign.
If you use iTunes or the iOS Podcasts app please subscribe to the show at the iTunes Store (it’s free!) so you never miss an episode.
- Public Radio Program Directors Conference
- Texas Tribune
- AAA = Adult Album Alternative
- Current reports from PRPD: Program directors challenged to think about audience, not formats
- Why community radio stations don’t need news directors
- CBI National Student Electronic Media Convention
- FCC Denies Applications for Review Related to Sale of College Radio Station KUSF’s License
- Thanks to Allan Sniffen’s WABC Music Radio memorabilia website for the Rick Sklar interview clips
- “The Weather Underground” documentary
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!