Radio Survivor co-founder Matthew Lasar joins us this week to examine recent events at Pacifica Network’s Los Angeles station KPFK, where it’s been reported that all staff have been cut to half-time across the board. Matthew helps to put this action into perspective–especially as it regards the Pacifica Foundation’s unwieldy governance structure–and explains why Pacifica, as the nation’s largest community radio network, is still relevant for all of community radio in the US.
In College Radio Watch Jennifer Waits tells us about a former college station in Houston that is up for sale again five years after Rice University sold it off the first time. She also remembers the impassioned college media advocate and scholar Dan Reimold who recently passed away. Finally, Matthew returns for his weekly Letter on Radio segment to unpack the secret radio history of the Looney Tunes character Foghorn Leghorn.
We rely on funding from listeners and readers like you to produce the podcast every week. Please lend us a hand by supporting our efforts with a monthly contribution to our Patreon fundraising campaign. Just one dollar a month helps!
If you use iTunes or the iOS Podcasts app please subscribe to the show at the iTunes Store (it’s free!) so you never miss an episode.
We welcome your comments on anything you hear in the show–send them to email@example.com. We want to share your thoughts with all our listeners, so please let us know if we can read them on the show. Or, even better, record an audio commentary for us to play.
- Grassroots Radio Conference 2015
- Pacifica Board Fires Exec Dir Summer Reese; Is This a War with no Winner?
- Ousted Exec Dir Summer Reese’s Pacifica Occupation Comes to an End
- “Is Pacifica Radio Worth Saving?” by Matthew Lasar, in The Nation.
- Pacifica’s AudioPort program sharing/distribution platform
- Pacifica Radio Archives
- Lasar’s Letter on Radio #11: Pacifica Archive’s American Women Making History Collection
- Pacifica Radio: The Rise of an Alternative Network, by Matthew Lasar
- Uneasy Listening: Pacifica Radio’s Civil War, by Matthew Lasar
- College Radio Watch: University of Houston to Sell Former KTRU Frequency + More News
- College Radio Watch: Alum Calls for Return of KTRU’s Old FM License to Rice, WRAS Update + More News
- RIP Student Media Advocate Dan Reimold
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!