This year a diverse coalition of non-commercial radio stations are joining together to step up celebrations of National Radio Day this week on August 20. We look at the history of the holiday and reasons to celebrate this most longstanding electronic medium, and listen to some ‘Sonic IDs’ produced in its honor. Paul talks with Vanessa Maria Graber from the public access TV station PhillyCAM which is producing a live podcast in front of a community audience on National Radio Day in anticipation of the low-power FM radio station the group is constructing.
In College Radio Watch Jennifer Waits explains the significance of a recent Appeals Court decision about music royalties paid by college radio stations, and she deconstructs the newest Princeton Review list of so-called ‘best’ college radio stations. In Lasar’s Letter on Radio, Matthew shares some highlights from the Pacifica Radio Network’s “American Women Making History and Culture” project. Plus, Paul reviews some news about the FCC’s fall radio agenda and Eric discusses his participation in KCRW’s 24-Hour Radio Race.
If you’re enjoying the podcast please consider supporting Radio Survivor with a monthly contribution to our Patreon fundraising campaign. Every dollar helps!
Please rate and/or review the show on iTunes. That helps new listeners find the show, and is an easy way to spread the word about Radio Survivor.
We welcome your comments on anything you hear in the show–send them to email@example.com. We want to share your thoughts with all our listeners, so please let us know if we can read them on the show. Or, even better, record an audio commentary for us to play.
- Radio Survivor Podcast #9: Remembering Negativland’s Don Joyce
- Archives for KPFA’s Over the Edge program
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler’s blog post on upcoming proceedings
- KCRW 24-Hour Radio Race
- Radio Survivor Bulletin (our weekly email newsletter)
- U.S. Court of Appeals Rejects IBS’ Challenges to Copyright Royalty Board Webcasting Rates
- Princeton Review Shares 2016 List of the 20 “Most Popular” College Radio Stations
- 82 Best Freeform College Radio Stations (predecessor to Soundtap)
- Celebrate National Radio Day on August 20
- National Radio Day website
- PhillyCAM’s live National Radio Day podcast
- Pacifica Radio Archives gets $128k grant for US women history-makers project
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!