This week Jennifer Waits joins us live in studio as we remember Don Joyce, a pioneering sound artist and member of the culture jamming musical group Negativland, who passed away on July 22. We also discuss AT&T’s plan to activate the FM radio’s on the carrier’s Android phones, and KEXP’s recent 12-hour marathon broadcast exploring every song sampled on the Beastie Boys seminal “Paul’s Boutique” album.
In College Radio Watch Jennifer takes us on a tour of KWVA-FM at the University of Oregon, and Matthew Lasar reads excerpts from some poems about radio.
We welcome your comments on anything you hear in the show–send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to share your thoughts with all our listeners, so please let us know if we can read them on the show. Or, even better, record an audio commentary for us to play.
Please rate and/or review the show on iTunes. That helps new listeners find the show, and is an easy way to spread the word about Radio Survivor.
- RIP Don Joyce: Negativland Member, Artist, KPFA DJ
- KBOO’s Tribute to Negativland’s Don Joyce (1944 – 2015)
- Tribute to Don Joyce on KPFA’s Over The Edge
- Casey Kasem’s greatest hit: Negativland and ‘the letter U and the numeral 2’
- The Letter U and the Numeral 2
- Negativland’s Mark Hosler and Don Joyce on CIRCUIT07 DVD from 2000
- KFJC’s 32-hour tribute to Don Joyce on August 16-17
- KEXP Steps Inside Paul’s Boutique
- Digital Watch: AT&T Android Phones Get FM in 2016
- Five Radio Poems