Should KGO 810’s coat-of-arms be a turnstile?

turnstileThe San Francisco Chronicle‘s Andrew Ross is scratching his head at the latest changes at endlessly changing KGO AM 810 in that city.

“If you’ve enjoyed listening to my Chronicle colleague C.W. Nevius on KGO Radio for the past 15 months, be sure to tune in Friday,” Ross bemusedly noted earlier this week. “It’s his last day.”

Apparently Nevius isn’t the only exiting host. Ross got a KGO executive to briefly comment on the newest staff adjustments.”We looked at a list of features and decided we didn’t need all of them, but will focus instead on putting on a good news program,” he said. But the article adds that there is “considerable anxiety in the newsroom about the future.”

Jennifer Waits and I have been tag team writing about the station since it sloughed off a small battalion of beloved hosts in late 2011, sparking demonstrations and Facebook revolts. The upheaval came after the signal was acquired by Cumulus.

What good has all this shuffling done? According to the article, KGO has dropped to number 16 in the SF Bay radio market and takes an almost daily beating on Yelp.

Here’s just one Yelp commentary:

“Just read how low the approval rating has come to for KGO.  Not surprised.  Except for Ronn Owens, the new hosts are dreadful.  Monty is the worst.  Used to be my favorite station, and always on .  No more.  Wake up, out of town owners, and restore this station to its former glorey.”

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Cumulus corporate meetings to hear what they’re thinking and saying. What’s the logic here?

, ,

10 Responses to Should KGO 810’s coat-of-arms be a turnstile?

1. bonnie condict March 16, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Cumulus , DON’T FIX IT IF IT AIN’T BROKE !

2. Ron March 16, 2013 at 9:23 am #

What was KGO’s ranking in the Bay Area BEFORE Cumulus did their hatchet job?

• Bill Lockard April 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

For decades KGO ratings placed it between 1st to 3rd place. Two years before Cumulus bought KGO it had slipped to #5 for several months. Never reached 16th until now.

3. Paul March 16, 2013 at 9:45 am #

I used to listen to KGO “wall-to-wall.” Pete Wilson, Ronn Owens, Gil Gross, Bernie Ward, John Rothman, Gene Burns, Ray Taliaferro, etc. No more. Not even Ronn. What were those execs at Cumulus thinking???

4. Pontifikate March 16, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Their coat-of-arms should be a toilet. I believe before the awful day in December 2011 when they fired everyone, they were #2 in ratings. They have shown such disregard for the listeners and their employees. What a travesty and tragedy.

5. Robert Williams March 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Cumulas did everything ass backwards; with the money Ronn Owens made in comparison to the other hosts they would of been much better axing him and keeping the others. Ronn’s smouchy fake yiddish comes across as exactly that; that’s good I suppose if your listening audience is 80+ plus year old women…….

6. Dave R. March 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Paul, I fully agree with you. After they had yanked the hosts off, I felt lost in where to go to on the radio dial. Now that I am adjusted somewhat and listen to other stations, I can even support listening to Ronn anymore just because he is on KGO. And to think that these corporate heads are suppose to be smart.

7. Gary Parks March 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

An ancient Egyptian sage once said, “When the sun god is angry with aland, he places the fools in charge of the wise. Not sure about the sun god part, but in America, on every lever–governmental and corporate, the fools are ever more taking charge of the wise. It happened with KGO. I still listen to Ronn fairly often, but it was a major, sinking blow to lose the others. As a young kid, I started listening to KGO in 1973, because my dad had it on and was a listener ’til his passing in 1999. My being a KGO listener felt like part of Dad’s legacy. Not anymore.

8. Gary Parks March 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Errata in my post above: 1st line: “…a land…”. 3rd line: “…every LEVEL–governmental…” Apologies.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Anger follows Cumulus closure of KGO's South Bay wing - July 3, 2015

[…] KGO in 2011 and caused a veritable listener riot by dumping a host of popular talk show hosts, then dumping some more. Internal Affairs has a quote from San Jose’s mayor Sam Liccardo on the latest […]