Is this Sign at Your Radio Station?

KDVS Sign, November 2011 (Photo: J. Waits)

KDVS Sign, November 2011 (Photo: J. Waits)

After visiting probably 40 radio stations, I’ve come to expect to find certain artifacts at every station. As I wrote back in 2010, there are a whole bunch of items that I regularly see when I travel to college radio stations, including skull-themed paraphernalia.

Sign at WPGU, July 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

Sign at WPGU, July 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

I frequently see sticker-covered cabinets, funky couches, pop culture artifacts (from miniscule care bears to an owl with a stick in its eye), vinyl art, and vintage audio equipment. One item that I’ve become increasingly intrigued about is a silver 3-dimensional call letter sign that I’ve spotted at numerous stations.

Sign at KUSF September 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

Sign at KUSF, September 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

I’ve never gotten a consistent answer when I asked people about this sign and I hear different reports from different stations as to where it came from. However, based on how similar all of these signs are, it seems clear to me that they may all be related.

KUCI Sign, Spring 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

KUCI Sign, April 2012 (Photo: J. Waits)

Does your station have this sign? Do you know where it came from and when you received it?

WFMU Sign, October 2011 (Photo: J. Waits)

WFMU Sign, October 2011 (Photo: J. Waits)

, ,

7 Responses to Is this Sign at Your Radio Station?

1. Erin Yanke September 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

We have one, too! I took a photo for you, but can’t seem to post it.

Ours is signed “to everyone at KBOO, from your friend Leo” with no date… no one knows who Leo is! Good luck on the quest -Erin Yanke

2. Jennifer Waits September 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Thanks, Erin. It’s good to have one clue! Any idea when you guys got the sign at KBOO?

3. Kristin Sumrall October 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

WCBN (U of Michigan, Ann Arbor) has one! I think it showed up in 2008 or 2009. I’ve gone back through several music directors and none of them remembers precisely, but it is also signed just like the KBOO one mentioned above: “to everyone at WCBN, from your friend, Leo”.

4. Erin Yanke October 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

No idea when KBOO got the sign, but if any old timers remember, I’ll let you know! -Erin

5. Hunter King April 1, 2013 at 11:50 am #

We have a Leo sign at WTUL! I had no idea this was a thing!

6. Hunter King August 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

I talked to the GM at WESU about this and he remembered an album by the guy that makes these. He found it, showed me a picture, which lead me to this:

Pretty sure that’s the guy

7. Jennifer Waits August 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Wow… is it possible that this is no longer a mystery? Thanks for the tip!!