Last week I found out that mtvU was accepting nominations for its annual college radio award, the “College Radio Woodie.” The call for nominees asked for people to nominate their favorite college radio stations using either Twitter or an online form. Excited about the opportunity to finally nominate a station (I’d missed the chance every other year), I rallied folks at my station in the hopes that we’d secure a spot in the top 25. Well, we didn’t. And, yes, I’m bitter.
In any event, here are the 25 college radio stations that got the most people to nominate them between February 9 and February 17. Voting is now underway until February 27th at 9am Pacific time to whittle these down to the top 10. The winner will be announced in Austin at a ceremony being held at SXSW on March 18, 2012.
I’m happy to report that one station in my own city of San Francisco made the list: San Francisco State’s online-only station KSFS (which I toured and profiled last year). A few of my Spinning Indie 50 State Tour stop stations also made it onto the list: KSUA (University of Alaska, Fairbanks) and KJHK (University of Kansas, Lawrence).
Here are the 25 finalists for the 2012 mtvU College Radio Woodie Award:
- WASU (Appalachian State University, Boone, NC) (top 10 in 2011)
- WICB (Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY) (top 10 in 2011)
WSOU (Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ) (top 10 in 2011)
WSBU (St. Bonaventure University, St. Bonaventure, NY) (top 10 in 2011)
KTSW (Texas State University, San Marcos, TX) (top 10 in 2011)
WUTK (University of Tennessee – Knoxville, TN) (top 10 in 2011)
WRHU (Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY) (top 25 in 2011)
- WLOY (Loyola University Maryland, Baltimore, MD) (top 25 in 2011)
- WKPS (Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA) (top 25 in 2011)
- WPTS (University of Pittsburgh) (top 25 in 2011)
- WDPU (DePaul University, Chicago, IL)
- WDUB (Denison University, Granville, OH)
- Rainy Dawg Radio (University of Washington, Seattle, WA)
- WWSU (Wright State University, Dayton, OH)
- ACRN (Ohio University, Athens, OH)
- KRFH (Humboldt State University, Humboldt, CA)
- KSFS (San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA)
- KJHK (University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS)
- KSYM (San Antonio College, San Antonio, TX)
- KMSA (Colorado Mesa University, Grand Junction, CO)
- KSUA (University of Alaska Fairbanks)
- WVMW (Marywood University, Scranton, PA)
- WCWS (The College of Wooster, Wooster, OH)
- WAIH (SUNY-Potsdam, NY)
- WHIP (Temple University, Philadelphia, PA)
The 2011 College Radio Woodie (see the finalists here) went to WVUM, the 2009 College Radio Woodie went to KUPS (after a lengthy nomination process involving more than 300 stations initially) and the 2008 College Radio Woodie (see nominees here) went to WICB. There was no award in 2010.
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!