82 Best Freeform College Radio Stations

Wow. I never want to do my own list of favorite college radio stations, but the one compiled by Zoomout is pretty impressive. In a lovely map featuring college radio station logos Zoomout gives praise to the top college radio stations in terms of freeform programming and streaming audio quality.

The map’s creator Sujay writes:

“After discovering two amazing college radio stations in my proximity (KZSU – Stanford and KFJC – Foothill College), I began listening not only from my car but wherever I had a high speed internet connection. Thus I began a mission to identify all similarly awesome stations in the USA/Canada.”

I can’t complain because my own station KFJC made the cut, as well as my previous DJ home: KSPC. Also, lots of great stations that I’ve visited in the San Francisco Bay Area are included (KALX, KZSU, KZSC), as well as some that I’ve been dying to visit (KDVS, KAOS), and many that I’ve featured on my Spinning Indie 50 State Tour (WSUM, KJHK, WRFL, KBGA, KSCR) or have visited on one of my field trips (WZBC, WNYU).

Zoomout's college radio map

Zoomout’s College Radio Map

In early September there were 77 stations on the map, but others have subsequently been added based on comments by other college radio fans. Some have noted that the center of the map seems sparse, so if you have any suggestions, it seems worth passing them along.

I applaud this project, as it’s in line with my desire to spread the gospel of college radio in every corner of the U.S. (and Canada too).

, , ,

0 Responses to 82 Best Freeform College Radio Stations

1. sujay October 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks for the nice write-up. It’s worth mentioning that there is a downloadable playlist of all stations, available at

2. Jennifer Waits October 19, 2010 at 12:47 am #

Thanks Sujay. Oops! I meant to mention that you created a jukebox of the radio station streams, so thanks for pointing that out AND for doing this awesome map!

3. Philip Goetz October 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

KVRX AUSTIN plays none of the hits all the time from THE UNIVERISTY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN. Listen online at

About KEXP, aren’t they funded by MICROSOFT? They aren’t college radio.

4. Ethan James October 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

WUML Lowell 91.5fm at UMass Lowell is one the few completely student-run college radio stations in the country. Community and student programming with a strict underground music policy. check out our playlists at

5. Jarrod October 30, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Hi, my company helps radio stations create new streams of digital advertising revenue. Each school can start earning extra income with a few simple steps.

If any college radio station is looking to stream online and/or to mobile phones with both a custom streaming player and a custom phone app, definitely send me an email or call 954-481-9402 x206. Check out our website at .

6. Ivon November 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm #

@Philip Goetz: Yeah, Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, essentially bought KCMU in 2001, and had the name changed to KEXP. It’s still a great radio station, but it does have some big money backing it.

7. OffLabelUse August 18, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Really depends on the DJ…whne you have a freeform format.

‘Free form format’, does that make sense? Anyways, WFMU and KALX! Poot poot!

8. Handan August 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

we have eveolved a bunch, come check us out!

9. Paul Acker-Taxis April 1, 2015 at 11:17 pm #