Long-time Metal DJ Dave Standifer Dead at 38

Dave the Metal Guy doing his show at WVUA. Photo from Metal Zone page.

Last Friday, May 28th, long-time college radio DJ David Standifer, aka “Dave the Metal Guy,” died at the age of 38 of an apparent brain aneurysm. Up until December, 2009 he’d been the host of University of Alabama college radio station WVUA‘s long-running metal show “The Metal Zone.”  The program, which began in 1982, had been hosted by Dave since 1993.

Sadly, Dave was fired by station management last December and “The Metal Zone” was taken off of the air. When it became clear that WVUA would not reconsider, Dave began working with other WVUA alums and metal fans to create a new metal radio station in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. According to the proposed station’s Facebook page, they were on their way towards creating an FCC-licensed station. Sadly, the last post by Dave (just a few days before his death) on the new station’s group page was “we now have a control room!”

Hopefully Dave’s enthusiasm for both metal and for radio will be embraced by his friends and fans and his dream of a new station will be realized.

, , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Long-time Metal DJ Dave Standifer Dead at 38

1. Lindsay Dunahee June 4, 2010 at 9:51 am #

Thank you so much for this writeup. And thank you for not whitewashing what happened to Dave in his final year. He never gave up hope, though it broke his heart that his “friends” at the radio station allowed, or even helped, him to be fired from the one of the things he loved most in the world. I will never forgive them for the extra strain they put on him in what became his last days. He was truly the kindest, sweetest, most genuine human being I have ever met. Knowing him was a gift not to be squandered. I’ll love him until the day I die, at which point I hope to find him again.

Love,
    Dave’s Linnipoo

2. Henri Cheramie June 4, 2010 at 9:53 am #

I worked with Dave @ 90.7.
    He was very proud to be on the radio.
    He will be missed.

3. Jennifer Waits June 4, 2010 at 10:35 am #

It really was heart-breaking for me to read through the drama that unfolded since December, as I know how addictive radio can be for those who are passionate about it (myself included). And the tragedy of Dave’s death at such a young age after all of that turmoil must be really tough on those of you who were close to him. No doubt there will be some nice radio tributes, so keep me posted.

4. Tom The Heavy Metal Warrior June 17, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

I worked at v-91 as it was called back in the day. Very saddened to find out about his untimely death. Rock on Dave and Up the Irons!

5. Exploding Ned August 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

What a great fellow Dave was. In the nearly 20 years I was fortunate enough to have known him, he was always a positive, straight forward kind of guy. R.I.P. dear friend. We miss you.

6. Bobby Standifer June 27, 2012 at 9:34 am #

It’s been two years since Dave died and he still has fans visit his grave and leave flowers and sometimes drumsticks. He loved his fans and always wanted the best for them. We miss him so much. Dave’s Dad