There are Facebook applications for practically everything these days, so I thought I’d check out what the possibilities were for streaming radio. But after running a search for the term “radio” in Facebook Applications section, I was surprised by the relatively small number allowing for music streaming.
One of the best results that I could find (out of 468 applications) was an app called InternetDJ Radio, which earned a rating of 3.5/5, has only 36 monthly followers, and claims to be “the social music network for the electronic underground” by “streaming electronic music, including Trance, House, Techno, DnB, Hip Hop, Rock and more.” The others are called Streema and Muziic, both of which have a much larger following.
That said, here were some of the more popular and promising-looking apps that turned up in the search listed in order of monthly users.
- Rating: 3.2/5
- Users per month: 49,873
- The page for the application is in both French and English (a mix of each) and claims that the app is still in its beta phase. Ideally, the app allows users to create playlists to post on their “walls” or in a special tab on their profile page. The app will also allegedly allow users to display some sort of radio player.
- Rating: 4.0/5
- Users per month: 42,365
- This is a facebook app that allows users to play the relatively popular BBC Radio game, PopMaster (sort of unrelated to true radio, but still interesting).
- Rating: 4.5/5
- Users per month: 33,758
- This app’s page is in German (the station is centered in Austria) and says it puts live radio on your profile with an emphasis on rock and pop music.
- Rating: 4.3/5
- Users per month: 30458
- If you don’t already know what Pandora is, I suggest that you visit the Pandora website or read the beginning of this. I was surprised by the lack of users on the Last.fm application page (failed to break 500).
- Rating: 4.4/5
- Users per month: 19,073
- This app claims to be an “online radio tuner to listen, discover and share radios with your friends” and allows users to search for radio stations in more than 230 countries.
- Rating: 3.9/5
- Users per month: 17769
- This app allows users to stream music through muziic.com. The app, once added, can create a “Muziic” tab on your profile which shows recently played songs, top artists, radio stations, and playlists. As stated on the website:
Muziic is developed by Internet entrepreneurs Mark Nelson and David Nelson, who are not only best friends, but father and son. Launched on February 25th, 2009, Muziic fulfills the demands of Internet users who seek a free on-demand music source and want a YouTube user-experience geared more towards music. Within one month of launch, Muziic was featured on CNET, Wired, CNN, CBS News, The Huffington Post and more – earning praise for its user-friendly interface and innovative approach. Muziic, LLC is a self-funded company based out of Bettendorf, Iowa.
Other international radio stations with followings on Facebook include Greek Radio (4.2/5; 1,931 users per month), Radio France (5.0/5; 2,643 users per month), Radio-Israel (5.0/5; 7,991 users per month), and PLAY.CZ (3.4/5; 7,451 users per month), a station based out of the Czech Republic.
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!