Anita Pouchard Serra traveled across Argentina helping to set up new community radio stations with the DTL! collective. A photojournalist, she also documented the building of these stations, that are officially unlicensed, but operate in the spirit of a communications law that passed, but never went into effect.
Anita joins to tell us about this movement of Radio Comunitaria Alternativa y Popular, and its role in communities and the larger media environment in Argentina.
Radio Survivor is a listener-supported podcast. You can support us two ways:
- Anita Pouchard Serra’s website
- Photos & story: Communication Is Not a Marchandise (Commodity)
- NY Times Lens Blog: Argentina’s Community Radio Stations Offer an Alternative Look at News
- Wired: Argentinians Are So Sick of the Media, They’re Inventing Their Own
- Antena Negra TV
- Podcast #72 – Pete Tridish Celebrates an LPFM Success Story (Farmworkers’ Radio in Oregon)