Advice for LPFM stations and podcasters this week. A recent rule change at the FCC allows more AM stations to get repeaters on the FM dial, but may put unnecessary pressure on existing low-power FM stations. Paul and Eric discuss this situation and what LPFM stations may need to do in response, along with the new FCC Chairman’s public support for FM radios in smartphones. Then they talk about how new podcasters should be specific in choosing a topic and description for their shows, and why “market research” is a valuable tool for doing this.
Please help us our work in providing community radio and podcasting coverage seen nowhere else. If we don’t do it, it won’t get done.
- FCC Order: “FCC Moves to Help AM Radio Stations Serve Listeners”
- Inside Radio: “LPFM Advocates Clash with FCC over LPFM Proposal”
- The Verge: “FCC chief wants smartphones’ hidden FM radios turned on, but won’t do anything about it”
- The Wolf Den: Julie Shapiro, Radiotopia Executive Producer
- Tedium: “You’re Wearing An Antenna – Why headphones are often not optional when it comes to portable devices with FM radio functionality.”
- The Timbre: “Noisecasting – The Search for Podcasting’s Bleeding Edge.”
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!