More than 600 community radio recordings from 1965 – 1986 are archived at the University of Maryland. These tapes were shared through a program exchange operated by the National Federation of Community broadcasters. The breadth of programming contained in these programs is remarkable, and underscores the still-active mission of the NFCB to support and promote the participation of women and people of color at all levels of non-commercial broadcasting.
Laura Schnitker is the curator of the Broadcast Archives at the University of Maryland, joining the show to tell us more about this special archive of programming, highlighting some of the gems in the collection.
- Historic Community Radio Broadcasts Now Available in UMD Digital Collections
- National Federation of Community Broadcasters collection at University of Maryland
- Online Finding Aid for NFCB Collection at University of Maryland
- Georgetown University Radio Station WGTB’s Storied Past (Radio Survivor)
- College Radio Station WGTB Field Trip Report (Radio Survivor)
- Podcast #135: Resurfacing Women’s Contributions in Podcasting History (Radio Survivor Podcast)
- Podcast #156: Can We Strengthen Audio’s Public Domain? (Radio Survivor Podcast)