This week, the FCC granted one construction permit for a new low power FM (LFPM) radio station and the lucky recipient is The Church in Lafayette, Inc. in Lafayette, Indiana. Competing applicant Great Lafayette Chinese Traditional Culture Association in West Lafayette, Indiana had its application dismissed. This is the first construction permit granted in 2016 and brings the grand total of construction permits from the 2013 filing window to 1,888.
In keeping with Paul’s update from last week, I’d also like to share a list of the LPFM stations that have been issued licenses to cover by the FCC. Many of these stations have plans to get on the air soon, including WXOX-LP in Louisville, Kentucky, which has set its launch date for Valentine’s Day (February 14, 2016), in a nod to its love-inspired call letters. The station will begin broadcasting 24 hours a day over 97.1 FM in Louisville, KY starting at 3:33pm on February 14. See my 2015 tour of WXOX aka ARTxFM’s former location here.
Stations issued licenses to cover since January 15, 2016
- WBIS-LP, Community Care Fellowship (Winterville, NC)
- WYML-LP, Local Community Broadcasting Inc. (Ingleside, IL)
- WVPJ-LP, Iglesia Evangelica Sion, Inc. (Mayaguez, PR)
- WASP-LP, Spring Valley High School (students) (Huntington, WV)
- WHIC-LP, Cornerstone Baptist Church (Carthage, TN)
- WMIV-LP, Peter Stebbins (Miami, FL)
- WXOX-LP, ART FM, Inc. (Louisville, KY)
- WXHR-LP, Hillman Community Radio (Hillman, MI)
- WGVR-LP, Radio Gainesville, Inc. (Gainesville, FL)
- WLAV-LP, Iglesia Cristiana Voz de Salvacion (Las Vegas, NV) – granted and then rescinded due to “invalid call sign”
- KWMG-LP, Wordcaster, Inc. (White City, OR)
- WOGJ-LP, Haitian Relief Radio and Community Services, Inc. (Orlando, FL)
LPFM in the News
Student-run high school radio station MY 95 hits the airwaves in Texas.
New high school LPFM, WJHI-LP launches in Jeffersonville, Indiana.
As I wrote in College Radio Watch, it’s interesting to see a Michigan LPFM building a studio in D.C.
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!