Portland, Oregon’s only left wing commercial talk radio station has suddenly been switched from politics to sports.

KPOJ was the first Air America affiliate in the country, according to its supporters, who learned early on Friday that the host of the locally produced morning show had just been fired by Clear Channel effective immediately.

That afternoon, a local paper confirmed that the AM station would become “Fox Sports Radio 620” beginning in just 3 hours.

Brad Friedman is blogging about the sudden death of lefty political talk on KPOJ. Friedman accuses Clear Channel of choosing to favor its right wing talk radio stations over its left wing properties.

Fans of the station in Portland were shocked by its swift demise. Now they are scrambling to get their station back, or perhaps replace it with something else.

14 Responses to Clear Channel Pulls Plug on Portland Progressive Talk Radio, Supporters Scramble to Save KPOJ

1. ruth November 14, 2012 at 12:06 am #

what are you people thinking. sports talk radio. Can you get any more boring than that. I thought my radio had gone wacko when all I heard was sports. I listened to this station for hours a day amd found it very informative and entertaining. Im very disappointed…..NPR here I come.

2. Larry skreen November 14, 2012 at 6:20 am #

I am extremely disappointed that the changed happened. I have been a long time listener. I am a sports talk listener as well and I will not be listening to Fox.

3. Jim L November 14, 2012 at 7:56 am #

FOX…need I say more??

4. Carlos November 14, 2012 at 8:40 am #

These people will not stop until they get what they want. “Hear no truth, See no truth, Speak no truth.”

5. mr. mike November 14, 2012 at 8:43 am #

They did the same thing to KLSD-AM in San Diego back when Air America was still on the air. Clear Channel will take your money, let you do some decent radio, then yank the station back because the rightwing maniac in the back room finally noticed what was going on.

Never work with Clear Channel!

6. Pat Zak November 14, 2012 at 10:10 am #

You’ve got to be kidding me! Put talk radio back on KPOJ immediately! We have enough sports stations already but with this latest take over by Clear Channel we do not have any liberal talk radio stations in the greater Portland area — a hugely liberal area as clearly demonstrated in this past election. Clear Channel is a predator. I will not listen to KPOJ until liberal talk is resumed and I will advise all of my sports enthusiast friends not to listen, either. That should be no problem inasmuch as they have 2 other channels from which they can get their sports fix. Shame on Clear Channel!!!!

7. Belinda November 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Bad decision. I am new to the area and was so pleased to have progressive talk to listen to. ALL the other talk stations are either right wing or sports. I am a big sports fan, but this is overkill and just talking about the same things as the others.

8. anonymous November 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Decent local stations in Portland have shrunk down to just about nothing.

9. Kathy November 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

This is a travesty in every sense of the word. But so typical of Clear Channel and Bain Capital. No only do they have Faux News, they have Faux Sports. Most of what you hear on KPOJ Fox Sports now is NOT even closely related to Portland or even Oregon sports. Unless there’s a change in the format back to liberal talk, I will NEVER listen to KPOJ again.

10. Carla Talbott November 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

I am outraged by this even though I went through the same thing in the S.F. Bay Area before moving up here. They shut down the only progressive station in San Francisco. Obviously these decisions are NOT businesss-driven as these are 2 of the most progressive cities in the country and we’ve just had a landslide victory that repudiated the right-wing values and agenda. This is Bain/Clear Channel seeking retribution and revenge, regardless of bottom line. The S.F. station tanked after they changed to sports and I can’t wait for this one to go down the toilet too. Not only WHAT they did but the WAY in which they did it was just to blatantly take a dump on all the people who had been faithful listeners and their contributors (the treatment of Karl was outrageously heartless). I, for one, have gone from listening to KPOJ nearly every waking hour, to never listening to it again, unless it reverts to the previous format. I don’t have a sports gene and if I did I wouldn’t indulge it with FOX/Clear Channel, two very VILE corporations.

11. Erin Yanke November 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Clearly I’m biased, as I am the Program Director of KBOO, the volunteer run community radio station in Portland, but the shock of the audience that Clear Channel would do such a thing is the real surprise to me. They are Clear Channel, and who cares about community?

Well, we do!

12. Tossman November 15, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Hate to burst the bubbles of the conspiracy theorists on this thread, but I think this has much more to do with business than bias. When it comes down to it, CC is a business. I’m not privy to the ratings KPOJ made as a progressive talk station, but I imagine if it was at all profitable it would still be on the air as such.

13. The Original Donald November 23, 2012 at 3:00 am #

Funny thing-the OPPOSITE happened here in New Haven. WAVZ had dumped Fox Sports Radio and Jim Rome for Air America and Stuart Smalley.

FYI it is now an ESPN station.

14. Bill Henderson November 24, 2012 at 4:58 am #

I don’t live in Portland (Florida), but what were the ratings of KPOJ? It is inconceivable that a corporation like Clear Channel would dump a profitable format for one that isn’t. I HATE sports radio, but if a station can make more money switching formats, then they have shareholders to answer to. Radio is a business, not a charity. I really miss the feeling and sound of local radio before it all went nationall and became homogenized. But those days are gone and if we don’t support the remaining stations with our ratings loyalty and advertiser support, well, then things will change.