KFOG: a “challenging week” since morning show changes

KFOGAnother San Francisco Bay Area listener upheaval over morning show changes. This one at Cumulus owned KFOG 104.5 FM, where Bill Webster and “Irish Greg” McQuaid have been replaced by a new “KFOG in the Morning” program with Greg Gory, Tony Longo, and Melanie Walker. Webster and Greg were dumped in the middle of May. The new team made their debut last Tuesday.

On Friday KFOG’s Dennis Constantine put this statement up on the station’s Facebook page:

It’s been a challenging week of changes for KFOG’s morning show. I realize that KFOG in the Morning with Tony, Greg and Melanie is different than the show it followed. For those who have listened to KFOG for a long time, you know that for many years the show was hosted by M Dung, followed by Dave Morey. These two personalities had two completely different styles. When one left, the station was inundated with irate listeners. There was an outcry from Fogheads who were upset that we would make such a dramatic change in style. . . .

I am following the feedback on Facebook and have received a lot of response from listeners, and yes, even positive! For as many people as there are listeners to KFOG, there are that many opinions about how the station should sound.

“I believe in the new KFOG in the Morning with Tony, Greg and Melanie,” Constantine’s statement concludes. “I am working with them on a daily basis and their show will improve each day. All I ask you to do is give them a chance to create rapport and find their rhythm. Come meet them at station events. They are human beings and they have feelings like you. Each of them has a deep desire to connect with Fogheads on a personal and meaningful level. Please keep your comments civil and constructive. They care very much about creating a show that is positive and enlightening.”

Some choice KFOG Facebook comments following the Webster/Greg dismissal and their replacement with a “robo-playlist” (as one listener called it):

May 13: “Really!!! You FIRED IRISH GREG?????????? Shame on you.”

May 12: “Literally, crushed today 🙁 I truly count on Webster, Irish Greg, Greg, and all the countless others ,to start my day off! Without the morning show, I would be lost. Guess I’m off to Pandora with soo many others.”

May 11: “* shakes my head at the once-beautiful KFOG *”

Fogheads also quickly responded to Constantine’s statement. Here are some:

I’ve only listened to snippets, but what I have heard is disappointing. In the collective 10 minutes I heard, there was making fun of foreign accents, an affected radio voice, and sexist “banter”, if I wanted that in a radio show, I’d go back to listening to Sarah and Vinnie. As for different viewpoints that I may not agree with, that’s fine if they are informed viewpoints. Unfortunately, what I have heard from Tony and Greg is simply misinformation. As for Melanie, I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was asked to play the role of airhead on another show, but this is San Francisco, this is KFOG. We like intelligent women. DJs who insult their listeners and their listeners’ intelligence have no place on KFOG.

Dennis, It’s not about ‘rapport and rhythm” it is about the dumbing down of the morning show. Tony’s voice is grating to listen to and makes me feel like I am tuning into a syndicated LA radio station. That is definitely not the KFOG vibe. The tone of your message smacks of superiority and a “I know best” attitude. I have read almost every comment on the FB page and other blogs. Most Fogheads are respectful and thoughtful with their remarks. Again your reminder to keep it “civil and constructive” is insulting. I tried to listen to the show many times this week but the endless banter which was neither witty nor informative was irritating. Tony’s overbearing personality and his style of interrupting others when they speak is juvenile. I don’t think I have heard Melanie say more than a few words and again during some inane conversation about who deserved a medal or something?I can’t even remember, it was so juvenile I had to turn the dial. It seemed like there were more commercials too. The good thing about that, was I was able to jot them down so I can write letters of complaint to your sponsors!

completely agree with damn near everybody here and I’m killing myself trying to find evidence of the positive feedback Dennis is referring to…..I’ve seen a handful of “give it a chance-ers” but the overriding message here, Dennis, in case you missed it, is THE NEW SHOW BLOWS!!! they may be human beings with feelings and I’m certainly not attacking anyone’s character but the show is just plain awful and most importantly DOES NOT REFLECT THE KFOG COMMUNITY! which part of this are you struggling to understand? FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly who are you trying to please?

One thing I’ll say for KFOG: smart idea to let the listeners vent on the station’s Facebook page. When KGO management surprised the Bay Area with its talk radio staff bloodbath late last year, the station stonewalled their fans, resulting in two independent Facebook groups.

, ,

14 Responses to KFOG: a “challenging week” since morning show changes

1. John Hell June 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

KFOG has not been a community radio station since the days of M. Dung. It’s an insult for them to claim to be. The worst may have come in the form of the stage they set up for the GG Bridge anniversary celebration on the Marina Green. Other that Jimbo Trout, the acts were HORRIFIC, especially their “headliner”. KFOG’s music is trite, and empty of any real soul. They program to the lowest common denominator, and all of their music sounds the same. In these days of post Telcom Act of 1996 few, if any commercial stations ever take a chance on new/quality music.

KFOG=snore

2. Elaine Miles June 5, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Went on vacation and came back to morning drivel on KFOG. My condolences to Greg Gory (who was a good and valuable addition to the old line up IMO) on being the surviving morning show voice between the two new twits. Melanie in particular is like “fingernails on a blackboard”. She is inarticulate, speaks with a quite a pronounced lisp and her comments are inane, ignorant, juvenile and generally obnoxious – how did this idiot get on the air? The other new guy, so bland and inane can’t remember his name, is also quite amateurish. I morn the loss of my morning show, but the irritation level is just too high. Another long-time (25+ years) listener lost :(.

3. B Lowell June 6, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I just don’t understand this change. Neither Tony nor Melanie is in any way superior to Webster or Irish Greg. What is it, exactly, they bring to the show?

Webster had a keen knowledge of music; Irish Greg a funny sense of humor and a great eye for hypocrisy. And what happened to the famous kfog music library? After the A to Z event, all that’s being played (that is, over-played) is boring music by mediocre artists. No more oldies? Nothing controversial, nothing interesting. Come on, Dennis, just admit this is a mistake. You’ve under-estimated the intelligence and music sensibility of your audience.

4. BartonG June 8, 2012 at 7:27 am #

I could see it coming, with Dave Morey leaving, then Acoustic Sunday getting pared down, then the play list getting pared, nothing lasts forever. I really miss Steven Kapan, and for that matter Johnny Fever, but that’s going back a long way.

So, what is worth listening too in the morning, anyone have suggestions?

NPR will be nothing but Obama vs Romney until November, they have degenerated into a robust discussion between the center right and the far right telling us they are balanced, I just can’t listen to more and more quasi right wing corporate perspectives on that for months on end.

Corporations are people my friends, and they now rule the world.

Where is music that is not garbage and at least quasi intelligent staff.

5. Doug June 8, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

This change is terrible. I tried listening to these clods a few times, but have now given up and switched to NPR.

6. Brett June 9, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Totally disappointed in KFOG ! Webster and Irish Greg were fine and the transition after Dave I felt went smooth . Greg G is ok , but c’mon Melanie. I could listen to Sarah and Vinny if I wanted this crap . She is annoying ! Was wondering why they kept bringing her back . Dennis pull your head out if your making these changes . Guess you felt threatened by intelligent people but obviously never heard of the if it ain’t broke why fix it . You officially suck now

7. Elizabeth Heinz June 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

The phrase “dumbed down” was in my head as I listened to the new trio before I even read the above well articulated rebuttal to Mr. Constantine’s plea for patience. I wonder if the decision was that the old KFOG audience was too “thoughtful” (AKA too old and not attractive to advertisers…hmmm) but I can’t believe that the new morning crew would be more appealing to savvy Bay area listeners of any age. I would think that for broadcast radio to compete with personalized digital media it has to build and maintain community, something I felt Webster, Irish Greg and Renee did beautifully. Or maybe it’s just that the community the new crew is building is one designed to exclude me.

8. Nita June 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

As a prior regular morning show listener, I have tried several times to listen to the “new” morning show and can’t stand it for more than few seconds. I find it hard to believe that anyone, of any age would prefer the current idiotic drivel . KFOG had a unique am program, that was a perfect fit for the Bay area and just like the Bay area appealed to a wide demographic. You have definitely lost one am listener with a large disposable income.

9. carlos ortiz June 13, 2012 at 12:31 am #

I have been listening to Pandora for a awhile and decided to listen to the best radio station in the world KFOG before I went work and heard different DJs. I thought I was listening to Alice Sarah and Vinnie which I do not enjoy.

Listening to the new DJs made me feel old and it seems they are trying to attract younger listeners. I am very sad with the change and to me the only real good station left is the Bone. I used to be proud to be a foghead but no more unless they bring back Webster and no more KFOG NOW. The new morning crew does suck and they are probably not even Giant Fans!

10. A former loyal listener June 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Now. PLEASE get rid of Melanie too. Can’t you understamd that we all hate her?

11. Greg Scalia June 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Two weeks is a stupidly small amount of time to test whether a new radio show works.

Take a look at Letterman’s first month of broadcast.

Or Jon Stewart’s Daily Show.

Or Leno.

Or Conan.

These things take a while to grow, to find their rhythm, to become great. KFOG has pandered to the vocal, we-hate-change idiots on Facebook that have nothing better to do than run people down, rather than invest in making if great.

Go back to your cats and your comfy chairs you morons, it’ll be more of the same old crap on San Frans least interesting station

Yawn!

Gregory

12. dr m June 18, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I have tried to give KFOG management the benefit of the doubt and listen to the new morning show line-up. After repeated attempts to listen over the last few weeks, I can no longer stand it and removed KFOG from my radio station list today. Greg and Webster were interesting and fun to listen to (certainly a welcome contrast to the other Bay area stations). This new crew is boring (and often irritating) and the music a huge yawn. How disappointing.

13. Marian September 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

I was upset when M Dung left but stuck around, survived the horrible stint of that abrasive comedian whose name I forget now, took a little getting used to but learned to love Dave Morey (never got into 10 at 10), however Webster was a breath of fresh air (which I relayed to KFOG shortly after he was brought on). While I was stunned to find the morning group gone I have worked through all the other changes, enjoy the music and how can you not love acoustic sunrise, so decided to give it a try. This show is awful. Shame on you for attempting to turn KFOG into every other show that’s out there but what’s worse is that you didn’t even succeed at that. I guess all good things come to an end. It was a nice run so time to move on. Congratulations for getting rid of such a faithful listener.

14. Just a Mom September 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

So it’s now end of September and I STILL cannot get myself to listen to K-Fog in the morning. I keep peaking in from time to time after I drop my child off at school, only to be depressingly disappointed. I truly enjoyed Dave Morey and team and grew to enjoyWebster and team just as much. I am so disappointed with the morning line-up that I won’t even listen on my drive home. It’s not that they are terrible… it’s simply that they are not K-Fog quality. Or at least, the quality that K-fog was. I too am out.