Family Radio’s WKDN Morphs into All-Hannity Radio after Sale to Merlin

Hannity Radio

Sean Hannity Replaces Family Radio on WKDN

Yesterday, Camden, New Jersey radio station WKDN made a radical change in programming, switching from Family Radio to Hannity@106.9 FM Radio following the the station’s sale to Merlin Media for $22.5 million. Listeners to WKDN in the Philadelphia-area could hear Family Radio’s religious programming transitioning to a loop of the R.E.M. song “It’s the End of the World as We Know It,” before a non-stop string of Sean Hannity’s talk show began airing over the station. Apparently this is a short-term stunt, a common occurrence after a radio station sale, and the final programming line-up has yet to be revealed, although it’s presumed to be moving to an all-talk format.

Along with the content changes over 106.9 FM, the call letters were also changed yesterday from WKDN to WWIQ. Although Family Radio operated the station as a non-commercial operation, the FCC granted their request to convert WKDN back to a commercial radio station (it resides on the commercial FM band). Family Radio, the religious broadcasting network founded by Harold Camping, had owned WKDN since 1968. The sale of WKDN followed Family Radio’s sale of WFSI in Maryland in the months following Camping’s high profile failed Judgment Day/End of the World predictions in 2011.

, , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Family Radio’s WKDN Morphs into All-Hannity Radio after Sale to Merlin

1. Steven Couitt April 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Wow how disappointing…what a HEART BREAK to loose the religious music. Listened daily….no where else now. Not a wise move! Very sad. Hurry up rapture!!!!!

2. Brenda Lane April 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I just cannot accept this…it seems that anything Christ-centered is not welcome on the airwaves. Despite Mr. Camping’s controversial prediction (who needed to hear that song playing on and on after the switchover), I thoroughly enjoyed the programs and music Family Radio offers.

Truly the “prince of the air” is Satan! It is my prayer that another station in Philly will pick up this vital ministry…and soon.

3. mr. mike April 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Harold Camping was a loon, and Philadelphia is better off not hearing the ranting nuts who paid money so that their pulpit tapes would be run….all that written, Hannity sucks. Talk FM sucks, unless it’s a community-oriented station that allows talk on community issues. So they’ve gone from crap to crap.

4. M P April 19, 2012 at 11:13 am #

While I think Mr. Camping did more harm than good to Christianity (the Bible STATES that man does not know the time nor the day of the Final Judgement!), the music played during the day and the late evening can not be matched by any other!!! I miss it tremendously and to replace this station with Hannity? Insanity! From calm, comforting hymns and anthems to loud, argumentative, abrasive chatter….so sad.

5. Pammie April 20, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Harold Camping, while showing signs of aging, began Family Radio with a pure heart and a commitment to spread the Gospel of Jesus. Most of the programming DID NOT include him, but rather focused on the Word, sacred music and uplifting reminders of how much God loves all of us….even Sean Hannity. I am praying that he is convicted to abandon this station and God makes a way to bring the Gospel back to the people who are hurting and in need of some Good News instead of entertainment and negative music that destroys the spirit and soul. In the Philly area, 89.9 has a similar format for those wanting the quiet soundtrack of heaven in the background of their daily lives. All of us have been mistaken about God and what we think He is saying and doing. Mr. Camping launched a ministry that brought many to Christ and encouraged the faithful. Pray for him and family radio and all the souls that no longer have the radio ministry in their lives. Thank you God for all the ways you surround us daily!

6. Neil April 25, 2012 at 7:00 am #

It’s sad that Family Radio no longer broadcasts in Philadelphia, but I’m relieved that the false teachings of Harold Camping will no longer be broadcast. I was an avid listener of WKDN, but when Camping became anti-Biblical, I stopped listening.

2 Cor 11:4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough…13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

7. Sonia April 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

This truly sad. However, I have been listening to 107.5 (WBYN from Boyertown) for quite some time and find it to be uplifting and interesting as well. Give it a try.

8. Herbert G. Stahl, Jr. June 20, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Bless the Lord!! Harold Camping DATE SET, not once,but TWICE!! Shame on him. I, as a brother in the Lord, have turned my back on him. I understand that Jerry Ettinger lost his job at Family Radio because he disagreed with Mr. Camping. It must be rermembered the Harold Camping was a BUSINESS MAN, NOT A LEARNED THEOLOGIAN!! He would have done well to remember that. He should have left Biblical interpretation to those who are MINISTERS!! Something had to be done at Family Radio and it has been done!! Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, Bill O’ Reilly and,yes, Rush Limbaugh are first class WHISTLEBLOWERS the nation needs to hear!!!

9. Pete Klinefelter June 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Gentlemen, I am THRILLED to actually hear a radio network and station who ACTUALLY CARES about the REAL CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN VALUES that a huge majority of us feel and live by!!! I, for one, LOVE to hear the TRUE Conservative message that only Rush, Sean and conservative hosts like them can bring to the airwaves!!! God Bless “IQ”!!! And PLEASE keep up the GREAT work!!! I also failed to mention the Obvious…I’m positive that you, once people realize that Rush has moved to the “IQ”, will see a HUGE increase in your Bank Accounts!!! Please, keep it going!!! I, certainly am going to spread the word!!!

10. Pete Klinefelter June 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

I’m sorry, Gentlemen. I forgot to say THANK YOU, SO MUCH!!! AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!!

11. christopher t pearson October 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I have listened to WKDN ever since I became a Christian. That ministry,save Mr Camping,was instrumental for me as I came to the Lord at age 39.I have such fond memories of those early days listening to the different programs. I never much cared for Mr. Camping’s teaching, however I did show respect for him by at least hearing what he had to say. The old saying eat the meat but throw out the bones. I thought that saying was a good guide line. I am very well taught and know my Bible so I know what bones are. I have a question, is the whole World Wide Ministry of Family Radio gone forever? If so Satan has won a very big victory .I am very very sad. Signed a Christ Follower with hope in God to bring some good out of this. Romans 8:28

12. Ar April 5, 2013 at 5:27 am #

It was a pleasant surprise to find Family Radio again on AM 950!

Honestly, I think the best thing happened when Merlin bought the station. Now we have conservative talk radio and also have relaxing, beautiful Christian music. I was really missing that genre on the radio. 107.5 is much too rocky and loud.

It’s an interesting change on the radio waves. I’m glad to have more variety.

I stopped listening to Camping’s teachings a long while ago and only tuned in to the other programs… but I was so glad to read online that he admitted being wrong about his attempts to predict the Messiah’s 2nd coming. Hopefully there won’t be a 3rd attempt.