Public radio station KCRW to roast Henry Rollins

Mr. Rollins is patiently expecting your roast

Henry Rollins is a Gen X renaissance man, starting out as the former lead singer of the seminal hardcore punk band Black Flag, in addition to being an author, actor, spoken word artist and perhaps the man with the most independent music documentary appearances on earth. On top of all that, Mr. Rollins is also a host on music-centric public radio station KCRW in Santa Barbara Monica.

However, it looks like he’ll be away from the station during its pledge drive next week, which is apparently a big faux pas, especially for the man who famously bellowed, “gimmmie gimmie gimmie, I need some more / gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, don’t ask what for!” (How’s that for a pledge drive pitch?)

So, as a form of discipline the station has decided to take a page from the Comedy Central book and is going to put on a roast of Rollins next week when the pledge drive starts. Instead of limiting it to a single show, KCRW will be interspersing the barbs throughout the week’s programming.

The twist is that KCRW is asking listeners and fans of Rollins to call in with their own punchlines. They only ask to “keep it clean, make it weird, but don’t pull any punches.” They have a toll-free number set up to take messages at 877 789 8355.

I just recommend not leaving your real name or home address.

As a bonus, here’s a Disneyfied version of that Black Flag classic I mentioned above:

, , ,

9 Responses to Public radio station KCRW to roast Henry Rollins

1. Carol January 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Kcrw is in Santa Monica not Santa Barbara as your article states.

2. mat catastrophe January 21, 2012 at 10:19 am #

That video you posted is not a cover of “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme” but is actually a Negativland track that uses the lyrics (as sung by The Weatherman).

Nice try, though.

3. Paul Riismandel January 21, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Geez, our commenters are getting so literal ;->

I’m not sure how a song that uses the same lyrics isn’t a cover. Why don’t we call Mark Hosler and the Weatherman and get their opinion?

4. mat catastrophe January 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Well, ok. Send me their numbers 😛

5. Paul Riismandel January 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Sure, it’s 510-848-4425, but only at midnight PT on Fridays. Don’t say “hello.”

:-> ;-> :->

6. mat catastrophe January 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

I’m highly doubtful that Izzy (or Adam, or whoever’s on this week) Isn’t isn’t going to interrupt week number 29 of “Your Brain is God” to answer a question about “Gimme the Mermaid”.

Plus, I think I’d have to be up at 3 or 4 am to make that call.

7. mat catastrophe January 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

I’ve just embarrassed myself by emailing a member of Negativland about this.

8. mat catastrophe January 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

From Mark:

“It is partially an actual cover, you bet. But the bits before it morphs

into a cover version of GIMME GIMME GIMME are, of course, much more. So in the end it’s some kind of hard to define hybrid something-or-other,

which is exactly the kind of thing we like to make.

BTW, the drumming for the cover section of GIMME THE MERMAID is a loop of the actual drums from the Black Flag version of the song, but we played all the bass and guitar parts and cymbals ourselves, and Negativland’s The Weatherman did the vocals.

I hope this helps, and now you can all take a nice long nap.

Mark”

So, we’re both right. And wrong. And I do actually need a nap.

9. Paul Riismandel January 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Wow, Mat. You win the commenter of the week award!

And Mr. Hosler earns an official Radio Survivor Mark of Excellence.

I’m glad we can both be right.