KGO Cuts Talk Shows, Angers Many San Francisco Listeners

KGO Loses Talk Shows

KGO Loses Talk Shows

A big programming shake-up took place at San Francisco radio station KGO this week. The commercial AM radio station launched an all news format yesterday, much to the chagrin of fans of its talk shows.

Word initially came out last Thursday that new station owner Cumulus would be eliminating KGO’s talk shows. According to a statement on the KGO website:

“You may have heard about the changes we’re making to our on-air lineup on KGO. After careful consideration we’ve determined our audience is looking for more news, which is why we are increasing our news presence throughout the day. The Ronn Owens program will continue to be the place where the Bay Area goes to talk about current events and breaking news, and we;ll still have great talk shows on the weekends as well as on our sister station KSFO. Be assured that KGO remains your source for Bay Area news and information. Thanks for listening to the new KGO 810.”

Although I’m not a KGO listener, I first realized that something was up when my Facebook feed filled up with comments from KGO fans who were disheartened about the loss of their favorite shows. A protest page on Facebook, Former Listeners of KGO Newstalk 810, was formed and is now up to more than 1,500 fans. According to the page’s description, “On December 1, 2011, KGO’s parent company, Cumulus Media, fired most of it’s [sic] on air-talent and other valuable staff without warning. This sends a message that large corporations do not care about progressive and free media in the Bay Area. Let’s band together to send a message to Cumulus and other media monopolies that this is not OK with us.”

Fans are upset about Thursday’s firing of long-time hosts Gene Burns, Gil Gross, Ray Taliaferro and John Rothmann (in addition to other KGO hosts and staffers). Upon hearing the news one friend of mine wrote, “OH MY GOD! After a lifetime of listening to people I care about, the station is finally going down…What the hell is going on at KGO Newstalk 810 AM, San Francisco?!!? This is horrible news! I want to hurt someone!” Another said, “This is a sad day in local radio.”

Rich Lieberman, who writes about San Francisco radio and television on his blog 415 Media, first broke the news of the firings on Thursday. In chronicling the changes at KGO he’s reported that not only are fans disappointed, but that some advertisers have pulled out of the new KGO. Today Lieberman writes,

“KGO Radio is quite a different place than it used to be. There is a siege mentality in the newsroom. Many staffers are fraught with confusion and obvious frustration. And many are hearing the anger brought forth by the sudden, unexpected ambush begun by management that has shaken the station in almost all departments, including news, programming, and most recently, the sales department. Several staffers I have contacted are worried about their own jobs. No one, obviously, will go on the record for fear of reprisal.”

We’ll have to wait and see what the end result of these programming changes will be at KGO. Many have expressed dismay that local talk programming is disappearing from the San Francisco airwaves, especially since this is on the heels of changes at another San Francisco station Green 960 (KKGN). Its progressive talk format is being moved to an HD channel and the AM station will become a Fox Radio News affiliate.

, , , , ,

231 Responses to KGO Cuts Talk Shows, Angers Many San Francisco Listeners

1. Mark N. December 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Another AM Fox Radio News affiliate. Just what the Bay Area needs. Surely there must by 5 more stations they can find for Rush Limbaugh so that he can blanket (as in smother) the SF area with more right-wing nonsense.

2. Matthew Lasar December 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Holy smoke . . . they dumped Ray Taliaferro!! WTF?

3. Douglas December 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Hehehe….I LOVE IT when you “Progressives” get slapped-down. Your message is being rejected. Get over it.

4. susie calhoun December 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I didn’t realize that eating healthy and exercising were exclusive to progressive people

5. Jayne & Al December 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

We are shocked Angelinos who bought an internet radio just so we could listen to KGO…What happened to radio license based on local programing in the public’s interest, we think KGO should lose their license…The people who have lost their jobs should petition to challenge new owners Cumulus on

the basis that they are not operating in the public interest…..” All news is a Scam” they just keep repeating the same stories all day long…We are sorry for the loss to KGO loyal listeners.

6. Evan K December 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

I listen to KGO in Southern Oregon and get it loud and clear at night and was shocked by the mass firings of the radio talk show hosts. Goodbye KGO and hello Coast to Coast with George Nouri. KGO made a huge mistake.

7. Dan December 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Great… all were left is Ronn and he thinks the Sleep Train spots are some how entertainment. Way to go KGO hello KNBR

8. Janet December 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

My mother .has been listening to KGO radio since day 1 and is quite distraught over the changes. She hasn’t slept in Hopefully KSCO out of Santa Cruz, CA picks up some of the FIRED commentators!

9. mike norton December 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Glad to see the so-called know-it-alls go, later taliaferro, rothmann and burns.

10. maryjacobs December 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Too bad for you & all of us.. Bye Bye. A nice easy listening music station will delete all the repetitive news bleeps that are not even news.

11. Hank December 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

I’ve been listening to KGO since I first discovered it on the dial in the early 80’s here in southern British Columbia. It comes in better than the local stations, 40 miles away, on most nights. I’m shocked.

12. Larry December 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

I live in SoCal and bought a CCRadio to listen to Gene and John and sometimes Ray. I believe C. Crane has pulled its advertising. Good! This thing is a tragedy, and I hope Cumulus rues the day they so cruelly fired these great radio personalities.

13. marilyn taylor December 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

I am so sad. Len Tillum was the best part of my day. Ronn is getting stale and too full of himself. Looks like satellite radio is winning for my ears in the car.

BYE BYE KGO

14. Eric December 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

If the comentary had been a little more fair and balanced the ratings would have held up.

Got real tired of the Bush bashing and the worshiping of Obama

15. walt kovacs December 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

the fcc is now a huge joke. the concept of “in the public interest” has no meaning since the 96 telecommunications act

turn to knbr? its also owned by cumulus radio, and its only being saved as a result of its connection to the giants

ive lived long enough to see and hear the change in radio….and never for the better. (ok…maybe music transitioning from am to fm was ok)

free form radio is gone…music stations now all narrowcast

talk radio too is all narrowcast…kgo was one of the last true talk broadcasters, where you could hear and engage with hosts and callers from the gamut of the political spectrum

i think that im lucky….i grew up during a time when i got to hear some of the best radio 60’s, 70’s and 80s….kids today with their ipods have totally missed out…not that there really is anything for them to listen to on the airwaves

the corporate raiders have won…not much left to do

fight on…but all is lost

16. Vic December 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

One of my reasons for moving back up to the Bay Area is now mostly gone.

17. DaVD December 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

Going to miss the great talk shows. There is just TOO MUCH revolving news stories all day long. Now I will just have to listen to the sports radio guys. Hopefully that doesn’t change.

18. John262 December 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

I’m glad to see all of those lefty talk shows gone. And I enjoying watching all of the Obamabots scream about it.

19. rob December 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

I live in southern Cal and usually have a very different view than the KGO radio hosts who were dismissed. However, I believe it is a terrible move to take these voices away, human beings getting canned is a real shame and I support efforts to restore the station to what it was before this bad move.

20. Jill Stanley December 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

Why the hell do we need more news. It’s just glorifyed BS. When Ed Baxter left, I had a feeling something was wrong. I love KGO, my favorite is Ronn Owens, and other listeners have their favorites. Just like the Giants’ Ball Park, KGO hosts made the talk shows feel like home. The talk show hosts were so knowledgeable and controversial. I felt like I learned a lot. I think this move will be the demise of KGO and talk radio. Why hold onto Ronn, just go for full news. My radio was programed for 810 everyday, now I will set it on another station. Sorry to see you go, KGO!

21. Rob December 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

Now KGO has room to bring back Bernie Ward! Woo Hoo!

22. Kimberley December 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

KGO is losing listeners and advertisers as a result of their boneheaded move. Cumulus did not do any “market research” that said the listeners wanted “more news.” It’s nonsense and everybody can see right through it.

At least 5 advertisers have removed their advertising, and no doubt more will follow. At least 2 of the hosts have said they are entertaining new vehicles, and the audience will follow them. KGO has committed suicide.

23. George_San_Jose December 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

It’s a rare business opportunity indeed to have 3 world class talk show hosts — Burns, Rothmann, Gross — all available all at the same time. KCBS, KQED, or another local SFO area station or license holder should consider going News-Talk, live and local. Quoting Shakespeare: “There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.”

24. Ann Morrison December 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

You bet this is a horrible move by Cumulus. And to those out there celebrating the demise of “left wing” radio never listened to the old KGO. KGO was centrist.

Why are they advertising Medicare enrollment on the new KGO? I have listened for close to 40 years and I’m too young for Medicare.

And to still be running ads with the fired hosts’ voices is lower than low.

Good bye and good riddance KGO.

25. Dushan29 December 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

I’m saddened to lose such excellent hosts like Rothmann, and the others whom I’ve listened to over the many years. Cumulus has done this in other locales around the country. They are a right wing media outlet. I think they will hire some other bonehead right wing hosts like the others on KSFO. Fortunately, I’ve had an Internet radio by my bedside, and I’ve bookmarked many progressive talk stations around the country. In my area, I tune into KRXA 540AM, Carmel Valley, CA. They offer Thom Hartmann, Mike Malloy, Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller, and others. Stephanie lists a number of radio stations at her website: http://www.stephaniemiller.com/listen-live/. I tune into the one in Seattle as they have some other good talk show hosts. An Internet wi-fi radio is well worth the cost.

26. Robert G. December 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

I too live in SoCal and recently purchased a CCRadio to listen to KGO at night. This is just another corporate strike at independent thinking men and women. The response to this sloppy takeover should send a message to these out of state corporations that we ain’t buying their CRAP!

27. Sher December 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Brilliant idea- a new radio station with Len Tillem and John Rothman What grinches to destroy the lovely xmas cookie party. Really bad PR.

28. Rose December 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I am so disappointed I can’t even tell you. It is like the Bay area is shriveling up. First the classical music station just disappeared overnight last year, and now this. And I am sorry – I got plenty of news from the commentators, a real understanding of some pressing issues. I am boycotting KGO, telling them why and don’t care what happens.

29. san jose rebel December 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

The Aztecs wrote about this..government ..taking over the people of the world..

point fingers as you may. ..We must stop NEW WORLD ORDER..us against them

30. Mark December 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

I have listened to KGO for over 30 years, but will now will be tuning it out. Cumulus has made a major mistake and I hope it comes back to haunt them! This is beyond belief.

31. Sandra Hayter December 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

The news is boring. I hate this new format. I’ll find other talk showa to listen via internet or other means of talk on tv. I won’ be listening to the same news over and over all day for sure!!!

32. Charlotte Melleno December 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

This was a heartless move. I live alone and KGO kept me company whenever I walked into my kitchen to make any meal. Often, I’d get provoked by something the host brought up and called, hanging on, my dinner getting cold while waiting to get on and have my say. I listened when I drove anywhere and have been doing so since the mid-80’s when I was a new mother and commuted to Hayward from San Francisco to my part-time job at Family Service. Speaking of families, I feel that San Francisco has lost its family and I miss everyone who was fired, but most especially Len, Gil, Gene and John. What wonderful, smart, learned guys these were, with big, caring hearts. They were not left-wing, they cared about people. If this is the same thing, well, then, maybe they were. I want them back.

33. Marie D. December 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

Always looked forward to catching up with the news throughout the day and late evening via the informative, thought provoking talk shows. Now it is just news repeatedly. So disappointing to see something valuable dismissed. I think a mistake has been made.

34. Doug December 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

Lifelong listener. The new/s format is dull and boring. Why would anyone listen to that garbage over and over and over again. Real talent and joy are what we had. Shame on Cumulus. What a bunch of idiots!!!

35. Carol Hall December 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

I looked forward to listening to John Rothmann every week night. His amazing knowledge of politics and history will be sadly missed and I only hope he finds another venue that we here in British Columbia can reach. I consider it a privilege to have followed him and his programme for the last 12 years and I will not be listening to KGO in the future.

36. Jane December 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

The new format is flat out boring. If I wanted reruns, I would watch TV. I have been a long time listener and have enjoyed KGO for years. I guess, I will have to switch back to listening to music. I can’t stand this dribble.

37. Charles Martel December 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

Keep ‘em in the dark and feed them bs.

38. Lee December 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

Sorry that KGO News-Talk Radio is now no more.

Here in Yakima, WA all news-talk radio stations are ultra-right wing.

It was like a breath of fresh air to turn on the radio after sunset and hear KGO from SF.

I do realize that I”m not the target of the New KGO as it related to advertising, being so far from the Bay Area.

But, I really think the New KGO will lose Bay Area listeners.

You surely lost me.

39. Patricia December 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

I am really missing Rothman! He was a fountain of information. Does this mean we lost Dr. Wattenberg, too? What a loss! I’ve listened to these two intelligent gentlemen for many years. This is shocking indeed.

40. David December 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

We need to Occupy KGO until everyone is hired back. It all still tied to corporate greed.

41. dyannne December 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

I am in mourning. My grief peaks at every hour one of my favorite hosts came on. I don’t even want to look at my radio. This is SO sad.

42. Golfendude December 7, 2011 at 1:35 am #

I have been listening to KGO online for the last several years, just to keep up with you lefties. I was elated to see it crash, although I did enjoy Dr. Bill, he will be missed as to the others not so much.

Goodbye Ray and your boy Obozo is finished too.

43. Dianne B. December 7, 2011 at 2:25 am #

I loved Bill Watenburg. I am sad he is gone.. but he’ll pop up on some other station (ksco? broadcasts online) Glad Taliferro is gone. I wont look for him. The only other reason to still listen to KGO is Karel (only in small measure). Smart move, KGO – snatching defeat from the jaws of victory…

44. walt kovacs December 7, 2011 at 2:26 am #

love the comments from the wingnut sheeple

hey you idiots…this has nothing to do with politics, or the wingnut myth that only right wing radio makes money

this is about a corporate monster who has no interest in local radio and whose market strategy is to rip the guts out of all local radio stations and replace it with syndicated pablum…thereby increasing their own bottom line

so rejoice…you have won….its pure, unregulated capitalism…but has nothing to do with politics or the wingnut myths about radio

know why right wing radio wins in the ratings? cuz the corporations remove the competition

guess what stooges…ronn owens, the only broadcaster left on weekdays…never loses to rush…thats never

when it comes to talk…people want to hear local over syndicated…fact

oh…and the majority of hosts taken off of kgo….are moderate to conservative….wattenbergh is a full on wingnut…just like you tools…except he has 2 phds and knows exactly what is going on

45. Terri December 7, 2011 at 2:39 am #

IDIOTS! KGO really blew it this time!

I want my Len Tillem!! And you canned the cleverest and smartest too?

Bill Wattenberg, Dean Edell too??

Cumulus, are you crazy? We already have 740 FM for news, we don’t need more repeating news.

My favorite show is GONE?!

I want my LEN TILLEM and I want him NOW!!

If his show is gone, so am I, I won’t listen to you KGO until you bring back Len!!! SO GOOD BYE!

46. Nancy December 7, 2011 at 2:44 am #

I just now learned that I have lost my KGO family. Turned on radio because I couldn’t sleep. Ray wasn’t there. Wondered what this “Red Eye” program was all about; got a sick feeling and turned on the computer and saw my guys & gals were no more. KGO – you have lost me as a listener. I have listened to you during many, many years of commuting in my car; my alarm was set to 810. I am so sad; enjoyed listening to Dr. Bill; Gene; Len, Christine, Joanie and, yes, even Ray (if he wasn’t pushing my buttons too much). I enjoyed listening to all the hosts; each had their own unique style which made KGO all the more interesting to me. I hope I can catch up with them somewhere else. KGO – good bye!

47. pt December 7, 2011 at 6:10 am #

KGO’s demise follows a disrupting 4 and half years. It really

all started with the death of Pete Wilson, then Bernie Ward.

Then in 08, they Fired Karel. Even though Karel is back now…

Then they just became more annoying to me. I found myself listening

to it for 4 hours per day if none at all due to annoying ads, bumper music

, they switched hours around( for example Pat Thurston’s show was cut down to

4 hours Sun. morning instead of it’s usual 5 hour). cumulus IS owned by right-

wing Republicans and you can smell it on the new format and the level of firings, no doubt

They only kept a few old progressive hosts on weekends but who listens to weekend talk radio?

KGO can hardly find any reasonable justification for letting go Bill Wattenberg

Gene Burns, John Rottman, Gill Gros and Len Tillem the most knowledgeable

and experienced hosts.They know enough to address and uncover real issues

and bring it to the attention to many.It was perhaps just to threatening for the

1 percent. Especially heading into an election year. You have to go if you know

to much and can influence people. Yes I smell a rat too!! Shame on you Cum-u-less!

48. George December 7, 2011 at 6:59 am #

No doubt Ronn will have to temper what he says for fear of getting fired too. These people are serious. They are working every angle to defeat Obama.

49. Heather Zuberbier December 7, 2011 at 7:30 am #

This is awful! I was wondering what was going on and just found out thsi morning! NO LONGER a fan of KGO! Listened to the station almost exclusively but no more! All news, all the time is NOT what I want!! BOOO to Cumulus for thinking they know what listeners want! Clearly, they were wrong!! I really hope a new station is formed with the former hosts!!!!!!!

50. Ol'Sparky December 7, 2011 at 7:52 am #

This Cumulus management decision is equivilant to Netfix style. Everything was great, the station got the highest ratings every quarter for ten years, and they HAD to screw it up. Greatr job. After the suits fired Jim Ladd down here in L.A, I think we can see what Cumulus hasa in store for the listener, more canned syndicated programming on the way to bankrupptcy. Problem is they own so many radio stations, when they do go down, there won’t be anything left except Clear Channel, and their survival is in doubt.

De-regulation has led to colossal failure, AGAIN!

51. MC December 7, 2011 at 7:55 am #

I’m gone, too. I’ve listened to KGO (John Rothman, sometimes Gene Burns) every night for the last several years. And, when I can, I’ve listed to Gil Gross and Len Tillem. I live close to Sacramento and the reception hasn’t always been great, but it was worth the scratchy reception to hear knowledgeable people who were also able to engage politely with people who disagreed with them. I’ll be changing the buttons on my radio and will no longer be listening to KGO.

52. Ed Addis December 7, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I am so glad to see that Ray Taliaferro is losing his job. He is nothing but a racist blowhard. I heard him too many times say he didn’t like White people and we are nothing but racists. Good bye and good riddance to a self absorbed bigot.

53. Marie F. Mulhern December 7, 2011 at 9:58 am #

I have been listening to kgo forever. I feel like my right arm has been ripped off me. I am grieving because I am not hearing my family any more. That’s right. My favorites were Gene, Gil, Ray and John. Shame on you kgo.

54. JonPaul Jones December 7, 2011 at 10:06 am #

I have listened to KGO since the days of Jim Dunbar. Today I have reprogrammed my radio presets and have removed KGO.

When I am not in the car I often stream the station, I just deleted my bookmark for KGO.

I am extremely saddened by this decision, what a tragic loss to the public, KGO wasn’t just a bay area station, it’s signal went far and wide.

I tried to listen to the new KGO, but they kept repeating the same news stories over and over. I guess if you have short term memory loss and can’t remember anything for more then half an hour it woudl seem like a great station, for the rest of us, simply a waste of good airspace

55. Ol'Sparky December 7, 2011 at 10:21 am #

It’s like having your best friend murdered right before your ears. Living in L.A, a radio wasteland except for KTLK, and barely then, KGO has been the ONLY thing you can listen too. What a loss for Califonnia, Oregon, and Washington. It’s gonna be all syndicated pablam if they get their way. BORING. Especially if you listened at all, they just repeat their daytime all night. Kept hoping it was just a Christmas party, and Ray would come on and have some fun. Not to be.

I e-mailed management, like that’s gonna help, and congratulated them on their “Netflix” management style. They probably think I was complimenting them. Sad days, except I found this website. Hopefully we can bi itch about our sad state here.

56. Marie F. Mulhern December 7, 2011 at 10:40 am #

I forgot to include Len in the line up of my favorites.

57. Elliott December 7, 2011 at 10:43 am #

This week, thought that my radio was broken or some thing. Have been tuning into KGO at night for years and years up here in Washington The State. Will have to find a new night time station…

58. Diana Goodenough December 7, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Sad, sad, sad. . .I have listened to KGO since the days of Les Crane and Ira Blue. Last Saturday, in Gene Burns slot, there was some jock with a poor command of the English language (“maximalize” ? . . I think he meant “maximize”) replacing the erudite, cultured and refined Gene. And what did this jerk, er, jock, talk about? Three hours of the Penn State, Jerry Sandowski train wreck. Just call me. . .signing off.

59. Ann Franzen December 7, 2011 at 11:08 am #

I, too, have been a long-time night-time KGO fan. There is nothing to

compare with the great talk-show hosts that were on KGO. Will

especially miss Pat Thurston and Christine Craft. There goes 50+ years

of great listening. Who needs more news programs…there are too many now.

60. Jay Neale December 7, 2011 at 11:25 am #

I am a long-time KGO fan. It was the BEST radio station in the country. Now is it KCBS with Ronn Owens on the side. Where is Gil Gross, Gene Burns, John Rothman Dr. Bill and Ray Taliaferro when we need them?

61. Carol Margason December 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

I can’t believe this is happening!!! It’s like multiple deaths in my family all at the same time. Who makes these decisions and how do we give them our feedback. I have left 2 messages on a number for Cumulus and not received a return call.

Where do we go for John Rothman, Christine Craft, Len Tillman and Ray Taliaferro? Cumulus, you can be assured I will not be tuning in to 810.

62. Diane H. December 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

What a great loss! KGO was (notice the past tense) great listening and certainly a voice to the pulse of Bay Area life. I can only hope that the former on-air personalities can surface together somewhere else. They will have mysupport , as well as that of my office staff. I know that Dr. Bill Wattenburg has surfaced on KCSO in Santa Cruz, but their bandwidth is such that you cannot get it over the radio.

63. Kevin Lynch December 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

I can’t believe what kgo has done! I’ve been a listener my whole life.I just tried to find Len Tillman and nothing but bla bla bla b.s. news. It’s really sad, I’m gone and so apparently is kgo.

64. Lola Beal December 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

You lost another long time listener, I will go else were for Gene Burns, John Rothman and Dr. Bill. Your new news set up is nothing but a boring

repetition… we did listen to KGO and not KCBS 740. No more KGO for me, shame on you !

Lola Beal

65. D. Wells December 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Hey Ed Addis,

I feel the same way about Ray T. At first , I did not like him for his style and much of his (world) views but the racism is the worst part of it. I am amazed that he wasn’t fired a long time ago just on his blatant ugly racism. Its so obvious and one cannot put a happy face on that one.

66. Bill Wollman December 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

I am lost. I too have been a KGO listener since Les Crane, Jim Dunbar, Ira Blue, etc. No more. KGO has lost me as a steady listener and I will do my best to boycott their sponsors. As soon as I find out where the talk show hosts have relocated, that will be the station of my choice. In the meantime, xm radio for me. Did KGO even give the talk show hosts a chance to say goodby to their fans?

67. A. Ginzburg December 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

This is a loss for the Bay Area. KGO had a good lineup of intelligent talk shows that covered the political spectrum like no other station. They were my station of choice whenever I was in the car. If I wanted a few minutes of news I would switch to KCBS and then return to KGO. Who needs hours of repetition of news stories?

I will now look for a better station for my listening during long stretches on the road.

68. Doug Brown December 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

As a Canadian listener I have been a fan of KGO since about 1977. I had a cabin in the center of B.C. when I first discovered Ray and the reception was better than in Vancouver. The reception was better later on and I listened To Ray and John every night.

The first thought I had when I tuned in and realized what management had done was to think they were trying to commit suicide and after a few nights of listening I am sure they will succeed. I know they will not be affected by the opinion of a foreigner but I’m sure a lot of American people will feel the same as I do.

69. Yvonne December 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

I find it so stunning that you could fire the best team of communicators that the bay area ever had. It is possibly the best diverse group in the whole of the states. Just because they couldn’t get it on the radio they could get it on line and from the other countries too. Sham on you for taking that away from the people overseas, American and all those needing to comuncate with us on their views of what was happening there. You will never get a more responsive group or dedicated to state their opinions out-loud. Where were you when the brains were handed out. We all know! Love all those who were upset by this and can find our friends soon.

70. micky December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

taliaferro is a racist jerk, rothmann thinks he’s been everywhere, done everything, and knows everything, and burns is a drunk and all they think that they are right about EVERYTHING and only an idiot thinks he right about EVERYTHING. Good riddence.

71. Ellie Gayner December 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

What a monumental loss, not just to the S.F. Bay Area but to the whole northwest US, Canada and Alaska and many points east which, when on those highways provided familiar voices and a touch of intelligent home, particularly at night . KGO was the flagship of good radio nationwide. I caught the ending months of Ira Blue, became attached to Owen Spann, Jim Eason, and Jim Dunbar, Ted Baxter and Rosie and everyone since, delighting in catching John Rothmann and Christine Kraft late night once we moved from Oakland to Eureka and rooting for him to get the 10:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. slot. I so admired Dr. Bill, especially when he spoke with young people tho’ I might take issue with him on different issues. So, when I’m within the region, I’ll be tuning in to Ronn. Otherwise, it’s sayonara, zai jian, adios, thanks for the memories…..but, oh what a stupid move it seems to be….probably saving money but what a disservice to the region.

72. Brian December 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

KGO just joined the vast wasteland. Guess what KGO, KCBS does it much better than you! The terrific newscast this evening stated that the travel time from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz was about 43 minutes at around 6 pm….and that the average speed was about 43 miles per hour!!!!!! So that would make it a 60 mile trip – NOT! They can’t get the easy stuff correct so why should anyone listen for the important information. Bad, bad and more bad.

Write the FCC and complain, KGO no longer provides a public service and does not deserve to use OUR airwaves.

73. jeanie December 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

I’m going to echo much of what has already been said. I have listened to many of the KGO people for YEARS. Four years ago, I became a widow. Consequently, I have had KGO on for a good part of the day and night. These people are like my FAMILY. I miss them. I’m angry. I’m sad.

74. don holton December 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

this is bad news for SF, calif. kgo will regrett this sooner or later. I hope they loss big money and wake up. I need to go look for a new radio station, bye.

75. Wayne_O December 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Let me guess, Netflix bought KGO…….No? I know you thought you could improve your sagging ratings turning into another of many news station. I’m sure this will improve your ratings……NOT! Somebody’s been counting beans again. I hope you loose your you know what but then you’d have to find another place to put your head. I had listened for 30 year to the most balanced station out there but not any more.

76. Pjk December 8, 2011 at 5:02 am #

I have been listening to KGO for many years

There is not another radio station like it. Bright knowledgeable host

I will not be listening to KGO – there is nothing there anymore. What a shame.

77. aa December 8, 2011 at 5:56 am #

These people that toke over KGO must be stupid. They just ran this radio station into the ground.

I too will do my best to boycott there sponsors.

78. ken December 8, 2011 at 7:14 am #

dumm ass move

79. Linda Ward December 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Lost me too. I know they don’t care, but I do, and I have a long, long memory. I avoid the channel fired the only original anchorman who was a joy to wake up to, John Kessler, and now KGO is going away from my life too.

80. Chuck Pixley December 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Coroprate America strikes again, first our money, then our houses, now our radio station. This will not go away KGO management has us to deal with. Oh and by the way you have to get FCC aproval for a license renewal, and we will fill them with plenty of reason to turn you DOWN!

81. Marcy December 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Like losing my dear friends. I loved especially John and Gene and Gil was pretty good as well. What does Ronn have to say? What were they thinking. I will no longer listen. Where will they go? I will follow.

82. Rose Marie Powers December 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

I will miss John Rothman so much. What a loss for all his listeners. I will remain a former KGO listener until management reinstates their old format and brings back their great line up of talk shows. SHAME KGO

83. N December 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

Joannie g. I will miss your Saturday show.

Hope to hear you again. Like everyone else this bone move is just plain stupid.

I never did understand listening to late talk shows but to get rid of the 7pm slot with one of the smartest host is beyond belief.

The bay area audience will prevail.

Boycott Kgo.

84. Robert Zweighardt December 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

I will only be listening to KGO to determine which advertisers I will not be patronizing.

85. carol December 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

NO Len Tillem, bye bye KGO, you suck!!

86. mjan December 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

I not only miss the talented, intelligent hosts I have listened to for over 30+ years. Bernie Ward was a reporter – he used to bring his kids in as they were growing up for special times like Halloween night – so yes, it felt like family, just like getting to know John Rothmann’s boys when he sometimes had them in for “joke night”. We all had our favorites, but I can tell you that KGO was a unique place, and I am angry and frustrated. What happens now to community endeavors like the Leukemia fundraiser, the Thanksgiving effort, and all those food/wine events in which Gene Burns was so involved. Even the holiday cookie contest was cancelled! Listening on a regular basis, one came to recognize certain callers (HP, Michael from Cotati etc….whether or not one agreed with their viewpoint, they were like family at the dinner table). So, I hope every sponsor cancels and certainly I will avoid any sponsor who remains. However, I no longer listen to KGO. Am disgusted.

87. BRIAN MC December 9, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Ray you will be missed thank you for your time over the air wave i want you to know i will no longer listen to kgo any more and they will go out of business very soon cause there is no way they can make it with the low level set up they have now.

88. Lynn Baker December 9, 2011 at 1:56 am #

Now KGO is just like every other station–boring! I have listened in Yuma, Az. for the last 10 years and before that in Long Beach, Ca. Now I will no longer listen. Everyone you fired were excellent and whether you agreed with everything they said you learned and they were interesting. Goodbye, KGO! LB

89. JoJo Montgomery December 9, 2011 at 7:14 am #

I too have been a long time listener but you did the right thing by getting rid of a bunch of predictable bores who never measured up to the likes of Jim Dunbar and/or Ted Wygant ~

As a black man it always amazed me as to how Ray Taliaferro could get a pass on his overt racism ~ He exacerbated race relations with a lot of people in the bay area and especially in Oakland where I lived for many years ~ Ray is a good riddance!!

The only thing I’ll really miss is the subtle humor of Bill Wattenburg ~

Otherwise you did the right thing that should have happened right along the time when the Bernie Ward fiasco went down ~

All the Best in the future !

~ JoJo ~

90. JoJo Montgomery December 9, 2011 at 7:27 am #

…this is JoJo again because I forgot to mention you new addition “Red Eye Radio! The host on that show, Doug McIntyre is really a deep breath of middle of the road fresh air …great replacement for us night owls ~~

~~All the Best ~~

~ JoJo ~

91. Jewel December 9, 2011 at 11:14 am #

Good Bye KGO, I too felt like I lost my friends. I hope they create their own station, I won’t shop at any of your sponsor’s and I hope you can be big enough to to admit your management made a mistake (did you learn from NetFlix). Ray did need to go, we all need to retire sometime and it was his time. I scheduled my work day around Len Tillam so I could listen and do computer work, learned a lot and laughed a lot.

Be big and realize you made a mistake and bring them most of them back (not Ray).

92. Colleen December 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I am devastated! My KGO Family gone! I am sure these changes by Cumulus is money driven. Well, they have just driven me to turn the radio off. No more listening in the afternoon or my beloved Saturday mornings. KGO will no longer be the TOP RATED station it once was. Sad.

93. Ed Tucker December 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

How incredibly short sighted. KGO has lost another listener. I am going to miss Len, my favorite lawyer.

94. George M December 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Only one I will miss is Bill Wattenburg. You’ll be able to find the rest of them with Mr Microphones at occupy san francisco. Haven’t seen anything about the raving gay lunatic corelle. Is he gone too? He should be in jail.

95. Sherry Peterson December 10, 2011 at 12:52 am #

I am so mad I just bought a new ckrane radio so I could get kgo in we have a hard time getting it to come in up here in Wenachee wa. I was so excited so I tune it in and what do I get some boring dweeb! Whats happening to this country are the right wingers buying up all the airways so they can spread more of their propoganda. My husband and myself miss the real Kgo how sad!

96. Ken Clarke December 10, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Remember that only five old men control the five media outlets, and they’re all filthy republicans. What do you expect?

97. Ken Clarke December 10, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Five old republican men control the five media outlets. Where is the surprse they would eventually drop the liberal talk shows?

98. Brian L December 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Funny thing is I didn’t know about the format change till today when I tuned in and heard Damon Bruce and was wondering what is he doing on KGO. So after reading articles and articles about what happened. I am surprised at what went down. I’ve been a listener for some years since 2000 and had my favorites – Bernie Ward, Bill Wattenburg, Karel, Michael Finney, Len Tillem. Gene Burns was cool with news topics, but didn’t like the “Dining Around” portion that he did. Leo Laporte and Bob Brinker were great to have to diversify the news and talk content that KGO had in their lineup. Adding Stacy Taylor was another great move as he had a way in my opinion to draw listeners with his topics of discussion. Lastly, I hate to say it because many will disagree, but John Rothmann and Ray Taliaferro were simply boring with their monotonous voices. Now back to this shocker…Looks like Brian Copeland got a promotion airing instead of Sundays to Mon-Fri. Brian Copeland is cool too so that is great for him. Although I hate to see many of my favorites I listen to gone, I’m still going to give KGO 810 a chance to see how this thing plays out. Some aspects for progressive talk is still there and I’m still tuning in. Damon Bruce is an interesting addition bringing a sports element but yet hearing him today, he brings his opinions and topics on news and definitely has a progressive side in him. KGO took a step back, but I’m willing to see where this goes…and if it goes completely like KCBS clone, then I am willing to say I am done.

99. Todd December 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

I will never tune kgo again!!!!!!!!!

100. Gian K Perez December 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

By KGO .There is no reason to tune anymore.

101. Randy Roscoe December 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

As a conservative who has been listening to KGO since 1982, I feel a family member has passed away. Many of the host I liked such as Gene, Dr. Bill, Brinker, Tillem and others were the bricks in a wall and the other host were the mortar that filled in the empty spaces and made you appreciate your favorites even more. I didn’t always like or agree with the various host and I could just switch to KSFO for a while if necessary. But lately the all political talk shows are filled with predictable drivel. OK, I don’t care for the current administration, but can’t we talk about something else for a change? There is enough things going on in the world that we don’t need single focus radio. Last year KSFO went through a reorg and we lost the morning hosts. Now, with the loss of KGO, we have gone to impersonal radio packaged for a national audience. I already miss the local color but if there is one thing I know about business is supply and demand. Someone will find a way to rebuild another colorful team. Please hurry up.

102. Marilyn Fierro December 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

I don’t like the new format at all. I enjoy hearing others’ opinion on current issues. I will truly miss Gene, Dr. Bill, Brinker, Tillem and the others. They made KGO…I will no longer be listening to that station.

103. S Roberts December 12, 2011 at 12:31 am #

Sad to see how threatened some are by freedom of expression. I will no longer listen to KGO considering the drivel I have heard so far. In particular I will miss Tom Rothman, but many others as well.

104. lucia antonelli December 12, 2011 at 7:21 am #

several deaths in the family…..sadness every time I am in my car….who is running the show, anyway!????!

105. Malcom Four December 12, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I just removed KGO preset button on all my radios upon hearing this sad news.

106. Cheryl Feldman December 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

I planned my daily exercise routines around Len Tillem and Gil And Gene! I too am removing KGO from my presets. How much friggin’ news do we need! Bad move KGO…goodbye

107. Mr.and Mrs. Robin Sevilla December 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

This is terrible news. What were you thinking? With all the talk show fans all over Ca. and many in Oregon, I can’t believe you would do this. What makes you think we need more NEWS. We’ve been loyal listeners to KGO all of our adult lives and we’re in our mid-80’s. Bye Bye KGO.

108. Katie December 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

This is a shame. What’s the point of listening now, 24/7 of news that is what we can get in about 15m? I read newspapers and the net, but then enjoy hearing dialogue of the 99%!

109. Farid R. December 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I have been listening to KGO talk shows since 1984. This station does not mean any thing to me any more after they fired my favorite evening hosts.

Who wants to hear to news all day? Same thing is said over and over without caring for what listeners really would like to hear. Unfortunately the new management , this time, made the biggest mistake.

I am not listening to KGO anymore.

110. Jaeleen Bennis December 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

WTF were you thinking???

Gene, John, Joanie, Len, Marty … they’re family. I will follow them wherever they go. KGO is no longer on my preset.. You are dead to me.

Idiots.

111. Chris Woodmansee December 13, 2011 at 12:07 am #

Unbelievable, KGO kills off the great talent they had, but kept only Ron Owens the most boring and wishy washy no nothing. Gene Burns brilliant, Len Tillam funny and informative, Pat Thurstan, all their great talent gone. Now it’s nothing but boring “news bites” all day. WTH the management must be insane.

I used to listen to Kgo several or more hours a day but I won’t now. Why should I? For boring, sterile, moronic news bites by people who don’t have any passion for what they are doing? No thanks. I’m done with KGO.

112. Evelyn December 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

I’ve listened to KGO for a very long time and am going to miss it. I live now in an area (Chico) where I only get KGO good from 11:00 pm on. Tom Rothman and Bill Wattenberg were my favorites along with the Sat and Sun fill ins. With the new programming which I hate, I’m forced to listen to NPR (BBC) programming. Don’t ever lose Ron owens or you are down the tubes.

113. Robert December 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

I have traveled the U.S and listened to AM radio everywhere I’ve been. Nothing has been as unique as KGO was with their talk show line up. With more listeners and advertisers pulling the plug, maybe they will bring back the best in AM radio like Coca Cola did.

Perhaps being a presidential political year, getting rid of talk that could educate listeners about the candidates and system, could help Republicans, Religious Right and Corporate America get the strangle hold they seek. I am not impressed with Obama, but I am certainly not going to vote to go back to republican rule. Look at them, they are just plain wrong. See ya KGO…

114. jamespalm December 14, 2011 at 9:23 am #

I have listened to KGO just about every night since 1988. Right now I can not find anything good about your night radio. Who ever took over has no clue. I will listen to 74 on the AM now……………..

115. roy hope December 14, 2011 at 10:49 am #

i believe the mgmt at kgo has really stepped in it this time, don’t they realize that their talk show hosts were kgo,not the mgmt that plays with peoples lives, including their listeners.a shift in mgmt would be a welcome

topic for the newsroom. the personalites which you abruptly let go without warning,hopefully will be employed in the bay area,and i will be there. roy hope

116. pete hallward December 14, 2011 at 11:23 am #

So long Ray, John, Gene et al. Gonna miss you guys. Won;t be lostening to KGO anymore!

117. Fred Ferrasci December 14, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I’ve been listening to KGO for over 40 years, the last 10 of which on the Internet from Japan.

I’m very, very disappointed to have suddenly lost contact with so many great talk- show hosts. I feel that local talk shows are essential for keeping people learning about and thinking about what is going on in the world. I strongly hope that Cumulus will realize what they have taken away from the American people as well as from local residents and rehire these great talk-show hosts as soon as possible.

118. Joe Del Buono December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Sounds like some was trying to make a name for themselves by being new and innovative. Well, I guess you’ll go down as the person that destroyed KGO Radio. Truly a sad day for all of us that listened.

119. Len Silver December 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

What a major blow to the media………..we get enough from the bundits of which most are illogical in their comments. The least the radio community can do is keep us informed where and when our favorite hosts will emerge.

120. james December 15, 2011 at 7:02 am #

In your above statement, its says through careful consideration we have determined that we want more news, who are you talking to yourself and your board members that are out of touch. another reason people are participating in OCCUPY…………………………..

121. Arnold Bert December 15, 2011 at 10:40 am #

As an avowed Socialist I see this as a Conservative take over of the media. Controlled radio just as in some third world countries. Tea Party activists can rejoice but what they don’t want to face is that we are losing our constitutional rights of freedom of expression. A sad day for broadcasting and for America.

122. Laura F. December 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Good Bye TALK Show KGO. It has been wonderful listening to you all these years. Work afternoons will never be the same again. I have removed the new KGO of Preset in my car. Who wants to listen to news and the samething over and over and over again. It is depressing. You have listened faithfully for 17 years. I will miss you Gil, Len, and everyone. R.I.P/ KGO

123. Porter Venn December 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

After 10 or so days of the new format on KGO I couldn’t take it anymore. Who wants to hear the same old tired news stories on repeat all day?

I finally broke down and ordered XM-Sirius radio, the talk radio on there may not be local, but at least there’s talk radio. So long KGO.

124. Elise December 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I no longer tune in to your station! Who wants to hear news all day long. I so enjoyed the talk shows while @ work, it made my work & days go by faster. I too, will be looking for a new talk station.

125. Arnold Dailey December 16, 2011 at 12:11 am #

Since 1977, I listened to KGO radio and Dr. Ray Taliafero and others. What happened at KGO is a travesty. You may be assured that , I will no longer listen to that radio station. To all the KGO staff members who lost their jobs, thank you.

126. Joel Bates December 16, 2011 at 3:42 am #

good bye KGO I was a long time listener.

127. john December 16, 2011 at 10:44 am #

DUMB – DUMB – DUMB!!!

I hope your station goes down the tube’s. Now that you’ve rid of all good hosts nothing left to listen except news that has been repeated over and over again. When will you people learn to leave a good thing alone when it’s working. Your line up sucks. After Ronn, no more KGO for me. Bring back Gene and Len.

128. kay zantolas December 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

so sad ray is gone – he was never a bore but outrageous ye s and what great music so hope to hear what radio show will pick him up as I would like to continue listen to Ray for the rest of my life.

r

bi

bi

129. Leslie Carin December 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

Most importantly I am going to contact the various sponsors I’ve heard on KGO, share my following message and recommend that they cancel their advertisements immediately!!! I have listened to KGO since 1976. For many years almost around the clock, I know all the talk show hosts from their respective points of view. I am really going to miss them all especially in this upcoming election year!!! I am a news enthusiastic Devotee!!! But come on, news snippets repeating hour after hour ARE NOT WHAT PEOPLE WHO LOVE NEWS enjoy!!! I most definitely have removed the pre-set in my car, home stereo and alarm clock radio! I am going to expore XM-Sirius radio. Oddly, Ronn Owens is my least favorite. So not only is the 24 hour line-up gone, the one personality I simply tolerate remains. I am going to expore XM-Sirius radio. More importantly I am going to contact the various sponsors I’ve heard on KGO and recommend to them that they cancel their advertisements immediately!!! R.I.P. KGO, Fox et al.

130. Dorie Looney December 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

I cannot believe the stupidity of cancelling the best talk radio personalities on the air. Gene Burns, Dr. BIll my particular favorites, lookas as though they have been replaced by drivel.

131. Mrs. Williams December 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

I have removed kgo from all presets…lonely now on Sat/Sun nites, will miss Dr. Bill, also daily listener of Lem Tillen–learned soooo much!

132. Ed Weldon December 18, 2011 at 12:17 am #

I miss KGO. It was my favorite radio station by far. My wife lost her favorite classical music station KBOQ not too long ago. Now all we have left is NPR, weak scratchy stations with interesting and though provoking content some of the time; but dull and boring at other times.

I did tune into KGO this afternoon and there was a talk show on with one of the backup hosts whose name I don’t recall at the moment. I guess that is the new Saturday format going on ever since Bob Brinker went to Sunday only. But the subject was a dull discussion of the flip-flop Republican presidential race and who’s out and who’s in this week.

KGO’s quality edge is gone. I doubt if they will ever get it back. Even good leadership in the front office can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. So far that adjective “good” has a ring of hyperbole.

EW

133. Jude Hart December 18, 2011 at 1:36 am #

Cumulus owned by Romney’s capital group: Bain Capital. Don’t they buy up companies, merge them together and raid the capital? Perhaps they will be playing the same news on all of their stations and eventually completely eliminate all the announcers. Is this how Romney and the rightwing gets free political advertising?

134. Barbara Abrams December 18, 2011 at 11:40 am #

I will miss Dr. Bill, Gil Gross, Tillem. Been a listener since Les Crane! I am very disappointed in your management,

135. Wayne December 18, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I was a long time listener to KNX 1040 till they had a programming shake-up on 911.

Now with KGO in the hands of the 1%er club Bain Capital’s taking over & killing KGO’s quality it wont be long before it fails and leaves those that made it great with nothing!

So i too must pull the plug on KGO.

RIP KGO, it was good, but no more.

136. Pat December 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I really miss the old KGO. This all news format is so boring and repetitive.

No originality and I did give it a try. Eeeesh!

137. Nems December 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

What a load of #%? This new KGO is gone from my life! I feel totally bad for all the great hosts that lost their livlihoods. The old KGO had such a quality variety of entertaining pesonalities. Morning, noon and night! I will really miss John Rothman’s great educational discussions of presidents and political history. Not to mention Money Talk! Cumulus/Bain Capital…you suck!!!

138. gail obrien December 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

KGO’s the place to go…FROM… to 910 AM..Gene will be on Jan 3rd from 4-7 pm daily and his regular Dining Around time slot Saturdays 10 am until 1 pm..just heard the wonderful news and have already preset my car radio to rejoin Gene & Joel.

Believe that Len Tillum is on daily an hour before Gene..

Let’s hope KKSF’s ratings rapidly rise so that they can also bring our other favorites, Joannie, Gill, John R. etc. along soon!

139. Racer Stevens December 20, 2011 at 10:20 am #

RIP KGO. The Bay Area’s best commercial radio station ruined by corporate greed.

140. charles summers December 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

I am up in Oregon country, have listened for a few years to KGO and

most of the time have enjoyed it, with the talk hosts, I will miss most

of the hosts. I probably will continue to listen to KGO but will need

to re adapt myself. Thanks chuck

141. Bobi Levine December 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

Dear KGO Management – It has been almost 3 weeks since you changed our favorite radio station – We have given the change in your programming a chance but we are tired of the repetition all day of the NEWS!!!!!! We miss the talk show hosts that we have listened to for so long. Particularly Gene Burns, John Rothman, Len Tillum, Dr. Bill, and Gil Gross. What were you thinking when you let these fabulous hosts go??????? These hosts were current and very informative with the latest topics – we always had our clock radio and our car radios set to KGO – – it has become BORING – KGO was the station to listen to but no more!!!!!!!

Please bring back our favorite talk show hosts!!!!!!!!

142. Brent Fox December 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Dr. Bill, John R, Ray T and others presented an open forum of ideas. This is another corportate thief of free speech in our media. Boycott KGO and its sponsors.

143. demy December 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

decades of listening to kgo,fun and informative ,len tillam,dr bill.My family enjoys together listening and learning.who needs that much news.Bad move kgo.kgo gone in my list

144. Mike Stiles December 22, 2011 at 12:21 am #

This is The Saddest holiday of my life. I used to listen to Ira Blue in the 70’s.

Up here in Washington State we can pick up Kgo whenever it is dark. Kgo

has become a shell of itself. It has lost it’s soul. Please change back today.

145. Janice December 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I won’t listen to KGO at all anymore. Dr. Bill was my favorite.

146. Linda Ward December 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

I miss the real KGO. This is just a pale imitation. Although I listen to Ronn sometimes, I’m just having to get used to sitting in a quiet office all day long, no radio turned on all day for companionship. Sad, sad…sad.

147. Richard Beckman December 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

I grew up on bay area radio. Kgo I’ve know since I was 6.Ron was on when I was 10.You had a great variety of hosts with diffent opinions.That’s what made it the great station it was.Shame on you management!Get a clue! You ruined something special.

148. Bonnie December 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

stupid, stupid, stupid corporate america. another example of arrogance. big corporations SELDOM care about the folks they are in business to serve. this has to be the BIGGEST f.u. to the people of the bay area. all those fired are great people doing great jobs but the big boys don’t care. i will no longer have KGO

on my automatic dial buttons. i totally dislike the new format and will not tune in again. just another “cookie cutter” radio station now.

149. pat December 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

I’ve listened to nighttime KGO for over 30 years and can’t believe that such a bad decision has been made. The strength of the old format was it’s variety and diversity. If all we have left in media is the propoganda and nonsense of things like Fox news, we are,indeed, bereft. I am no longer your listener nor buyer.

150. Pat December 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

KGO Management- I echo all of the comments above -I have listened to KGO for at least 25 years – almost 24/7. In the car,at home,while working(now self-employed). There was no other station like it. Everyone I talk to feels the exact same way. Like the others who have replied, I only tune in to hear Ron, otherwise it’s off. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!!!,and the way it was done & announced was AWFUL. I will be checking to see where everyone has gone, and will definitely tune in,even if it means listening to several stations! A HUGE MISTAKE BY MANAGEMENT!

151. Donna December 28, 2011 at 11:26 am #

First listened to kgo in the car with my dad….Ira Blue. In the 1960s Jim Dunbar in the morning,Owan Span,…who can forget Jim Eason??? Up until now I listened to KGO….1950s-2011. The station is now dead to me. Ron Owens is the biggest waste of air space…and him you keep???? RIP KGO

152. David Cunningham December 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

You may have lost the African American connection when you let Ray Taliaferro go. I enjoyed listening to him in the early mornings. I sometimes get out of work at 2:00am and Ray would help to keep me awake as I drove home. I even called in when the Tuskegee Airmen became the topic – I am the William Bill Campbell Chapter President of the Tuskegee Airmen here in the San Francisco Bay Area. And whenever I called in and spoke with Ray, I would hear from some of our Original Tuskegee Airmen that they were also listening in on that program.

153. david Jc December 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

If I wanted to hear the same news re-repeated every hour, I’d just listen to 740 AM CBS twice! So WTF, Over…?

154. Lucinda January 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

I have been in mourning since the loss of the fired hosts. most all favorites.

It was live, real and genuine. It was community. The prolonged seriousness of KPFA & NPR is not a replacement for the kind of lively discussion and personal feel of the old KGO. There was a dependability about these hosts who felt like family; all we needed was a virtual campfire as familiar and diverse folk would call in to discuss.

This soul-less corporate decision has nothing to do with product quality and everything to do with control of the message and making money the Walmart way: on the cheap and sell those ads via media tonnage.

The terrestrial radio, as I have heard it called, is the last free form of entertainment, those words from a prompt on old KGO that encouraged listeners to support sponsors. Cumulus claims the changes were in response to listener demands. I have yet to hear or read that a listener agrees. On the contrary, everyone asks why? Why do such a stupid thing? Why destroy the radio jewel of the SF bay area? It makes no sense. Well, I have learned how to answer such questions: the answer lies in the result. It may not make sense to us, but the result is a watered down, no information, no talk (except in their limited ‘free speech zone’). They – the corporate masters, are in control, and are keen on keeping that control.

Tomorrow is Jan 3, 2012 – you can bet that I will be tuned in to hear Len Tillem and Gene Burns.

In closing I just want to mention the ‘hit-man’ feel to the crude and indecent way Gene Burns, Jon Rothman & Ray Taliaferro were fired. No notice, just an envelope, a box and people watching them gather their things and kicking them out of the building where Mr. Taliaferro, for example, had worked for 35 years.

We are owned by Zombie Coporatists. It has the look and feel of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

155. Scott Jefferson Starquester January 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I was very sad to learn that Ray Taliaferro is gone from KGO. He was my favorite talk show host in history. How could they do such a thing? I just got Verizon so I could listen to Ray and now he’s not there. Maye this could be liiked at as an opportunity. Don’t you think these guys deserve their own satellite or cable TV Station? I know the PUBLIC deserves more!!!!

156. Greg January 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Worked with Gene Burns here in Orlando at WKIS AM 740 back in the early and mid 70’s. He is one of the best people I have every worked with in radio. Stupid move on someones part to fire such an icon.

157. Kate Mayhorn January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I wholehearted agree with most of the outrage on the firings of these very talented and dedicated people. Although I have listened to KGO for 30 years I have vowed to myself not to listen again. Ron Owens does not have enough in his arsenal to make up for the loss of the others. I found Len today while driving home and damn…it felt good to hear him. Off to listen to Gene while I cook! Does FOX News have something to do with further “dumbing down” our society?

158. Patrick McNamara January 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

The news breaks were always the barely tolerable intermissions between the talk radio hosts. Gene Burns was one of the most eloquent voices on the radio, and Len Tillem was one of the most informative and funny. What a waste of watts the station is now. It has gone from my default AM button to eliminated from my set of car radio buttons. This has all the smell of a company being bought for the sole purpose of being closed down.

159. Cort Northrop January 5, 2012 at 7:33 am #

I’ve been listening to KGO for the past several years from remote Moscow, Idaho. How nice it was to be able to listen to a radio station that approached subjects from the progressive viewpoint. What a shame it is that KGO’s approach has shifted to the other end of the spectrum. There are many stations available to me that carry the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, and now, that insipid red-eye (or is it red-neck) overnight program provides the same viewpoint.

SHAME ON YOU CUMULUS, YOU’VE KILLED SOMETHING IMPORTANT.

160. Marjorie January 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I know I’m just repeating what others have said — I do NOT see the sense of KGO’s new format. We’ve already got an all-news station — KCBS. I seriously doubt KGO’s going to add anything to that. And to get another all-news station we lose a lot. Ronn Owen is the talk show host I listen to least — bland and mostly boring. So they kept him & dropped all the interesting, provocative ones?

Did the “new” KGO also drop all the special shows like Burns’ food-and-restaurant show, Mike Finney’s consumer show, Len Tillem’s law show? :-(

These were programs that made the station d ifferent and interesting.

I caught that “red-eye” show by mistake the other night. Wanted to hear some commentary about the Iowa caucuses — got a bunch of right wingers patting themselves on the back about how wonderful they are.

161. Babs January 6, 2012 at 7:01 am #

I will miss the eloquence of John Rothman and Gene Burns. But welcome to corporate America KGO listeners. This is how they operate: tell the listeners that they want something else (LIE) and then fire all the progressive hosts.

KGO is a real cr*p-pile of news now. And did you ever try listening to this

“Red Eye” format in the night. Terrible.

Boring, boring, boring, boring corporate media Fox News wannabees.

162. peggy carroll January 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I’ve been listening to KGO since I moved to Sonoma county in 1975. I looked forward to familiar voices discussing important topics. I will listen NO more…it’s boring now. I may have to pay for Sirius radio now! It really makes no sense. How can the #1 radio station decide what it’s listeners want without asking them,? I do not want to hear the same news 24-7….it bores me.

163. Emmy Jones January 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I’ve been listening to KGO for years up in WA state and miss John and Ray and others. Nothing to look forward to at night anymore. I particularly liked Christine Craft. I hate the new RedEye or whatever it is.

164. pat wiley January 8, 2012 at 7:33 am #

I can’t believe that gene burns and len tillium are no longer on the air. where will they go….to that republican statioin that i only listen to for bob tanum and george norey? I could never imagine gene on ksfo, but if the brains running that station will listen to the public, maybe we can hear them again soon. As far as I know we can listen to the news (bummer reports)anytime of the day or night on tv or radio, but our favorite thought provoking hosts are coldly tossed aside. I wll no longer tune in kgo!!!!!

165. Russell Dawkins January 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

This strikes me as outrageous.

If Red Eye Radio has any traction, then from the perspective of this Canadian, then either the USA is doomed or fundamental changes of a profound order need to be made there. I can’t imagine listenership has not plunged with this change.

I will listen to KGO from time to time from this point on only to hear if things have changed back. What an appalling mistake. I will remember the name “Cumulus”.

166. Mary Covington January 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

The idea now days must be “lets all circle together, clap hands together and all get in sync with one another.” Much as children holding hands, going around in a circle, the radio executives (and I use the term executive lightly) have decided to play “ring around the rosy, pockets full of posies, ashes, ashes, all fall down.” AND they have fallen to a new low. Think congress is a do nothing entity. Well just look at our once vital KGO radio. It has become our new do nothing entity. A radio station with nothing new to offer. Shame, shame on you.

Sameness will be the end of us.

167. Joe Cleaver January 10, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I’ve been listening to John Rothman for years. I’ve met him and had the pleasure of introducing him to many of the attendees at the Bay Area Classic Learning sessions. He is worldly, brilliant, thoughtful, articulate and fair in his approach to callers. I always came away from his programs more educated. I’m really irked at KGO for letting him go. The Bay Area is going to suffer from the loss of his wisdom as long as KGO thinks they are better serving the public with reruns of news stories like people recycling their annual garbage into a 1 liter glass jars.

168. Charles Nowlin January 11, 2012 at 9:02 am #

You’ve ripped your pants and are now exposed showing the real you.

169. Ruth Dorsey January 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

You’ve turned me on to jazz again…91.1. I guess the takeover of our two progressive stations is hoping to influence the coming presidential election. I can’t imagine San Franciscans listening to right-wing taking points.

170. Carol January 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Dropping the educational, stimulating, entertaining talk show hosts was a big mistake. Cumulus wants us to believe that it was listener related. No way. They just wanted another station that would have the drivel that some of the other Fox news has.

171. mike January 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I listened to KGO sporadically. Tried to catch Len Tillem if I could. Main fault was them wasting time w. traffic reports incessantly that affected only a few dozen of their tens of thousands of listeners. The other objecting item on the old station were ponderous weather reports from a L.L.Young. A weather report, maybe, once an hour, not every 15 minutes. I was gone when all this took place and just learned today that “no one” was on the air.

172. Betty January 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

I am so terribly disappointed that KGo has chosen to take all of the evening talk shows off of the air and replace them with all news and that stupid thing called Red Eye. I no longer listen to KG0 as I have been getting all news stations from KNX in Los Angeles and another one in Seattle. So I sure don’t need another all-news station. It was the only radio station that I could get a liberal point of view which was so refreshing after no other choice but the likes of Russ Limbaugh, etc.

173. Wil Craig January 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Thus KGO loses me as a listener, and I lose access to those stimulating shows. …. I love to be forced to think beyond my box. It’s unbelievable that those very talented show hosts are kicked out. Yes, yes, I realize it is all money, there must be a profit. Just the same, I cannot get over the empty feeling of having been betrayed. I pray, (and I’m not a preacher) that those talented hosts adjust on to something even greater.

174. patrucia theresa rivera January 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

I have been listening to radio from the 1940’s. The Whistler, Lux Radio Theatre, soap operas, Stella Dallas, People Are Funny with Art Linkletter. Then in high school there was Don Sherwood in the am. In college there was Les Crane…Ira Blue. Now anything real good is threatened.

175. Patricia Theresa Rivera January 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

What-the-f— do you want? you have my name and email. Am lamenting the fact that while I have grown old on listening to radio all my life: Lux Radio Theatre and Whistler, Amos & Andy as a child, the soap operas my mom heard…Les Crane and Ira Blue in college…Don Sherwood…now you are removing good radio personalities…

176. Jackie Edwards January 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I am disgusted with the new management at KGO. I have lived in the bay area since 1978, Ray Tallefera was my best friend on oh sol many sleepless nights over the years. The former KGO format was the best there was. Sadly one more institution is gone. I have changed my alarm from KGO to an LA station. If I can’t wake up to Len Tilum and LL Young, not to mention the the other KGO personalities, yes Isaid it personalities then I will go elsewhere. beleieve me when I write I will not be one of the new KGO listeners ever. Bad decision on management part.

177. Bob of Yuba City January 15, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

My favorite live talk radio station is gone, KGO. Once the best, now just another blip on the conservative radio dial. For years my favorite station. Now we only have stations on the right to listen to. I don’t want to listen to hours of repeated news, sports, and advertising all day long. I want to hear and think about stimulating ideas from the former talk show hosts … I could tollerate the ads to hear the thoughtful discussion of ideas.

Who asked for just repeated “news” with out any discussion?

Bring back the former format and get the listeners back otherwise KGO is just more noise on the AM dial. Sad.

178. Kathleen January 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Well, I’ve been listening on and off to KGO since they changed to get a feel for the new?? format and I don’t see much difference. They still have way too many advertisements and talk show people I don’t know, just not the ones we grew to love to hear (Where are you, Gil and Len?) Where to go now? Can you believe that I have the radio in my kitchen set to a country music station?

179. linda January 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I am totally distraught. I listen to the radio more than I watch TV thus get a lot more done. I so enjoyed Len Tillem and Dr. Wattenburg, especially. I agree with former write in; if I wanted to listen to news all the time I would listen to KCBS. I do not turn KGO on and thus far have not found any radio staion that WAS as great as the FORMER KGO.

180. Forest January 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

After listening to KGO for decades since I was a kid in the ’70s, I eventually had to turn it off. Ronn Owens hysteria about seemingly every tiny incident started grating on me, but what really killed it for me was the Gene Burns Islamic loyalty oath, as I called it. After the bombings in Spain, he called on Muslims to call his show and denounce the bombings. After few did, he concluded the Islamic world must quietly be with the bombers. I’m not a Muslim and think it and all other religions are preposterous and hypocritical, yet I felt outraged that Burns would ask this, as if any average Muslim had any connection to the bombings.

181. Erik January 18, 2012 at 12:23 am #

I’m so happy they finally got rid of Ray Taliaferro. I have never heard such a horrible public speaker in my entire life. He can’t complete a single sentence without an “Uhmm” and that idiotic laugh drove me crazy. It got to the point I would listen to him just to count the number of times he said, “Uhmm”. I couldn’t hear anything else. How does someone like that get on the radio? He could never pass a speech call in the worse community college.

182. Kristine January 18, 2012 at 12:47 am #

I am “Kristine in Santa Cruz.” I’ve been listening to KGO almost all of my life and more intently in last 20yrs. I was recently faced with a move away from the bay area after more than 40yrs residence there. I’m in an area that does not easily get KGO…I just today, the day of the WEB BLACK OUT, clicked into KGO online to DISCOVER…………..YOU’VE FIRED ALMOST EVERYONE?????????? WTH? Are You people CRAZY????????

I don’t yet know whom besides Owens that KGO has kept on air..so far I AM SO NOT IMPRESSED…It’s disgusting. I cannot STAND ALL RIGHT WING RADIO..This is CALIF…That is the BAy Area…I’m only a couple hours away….I’M SICK TO DEATH OF CORPORATE AMERICA/THE WHOLE DAMN CORPORATE WORLD… FOR THESE kinds of FLAKY activities by “BIG BUSINES’…((and I suspect I KNOW why CUMULUS did what it did. YOU’RE SCARED…..>:|)) For these reasons…I HAVE JOINED THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT and NOW I’M even MORE HEAD STRONG into…..

Unbelievable what is happening to this country….One day, there will be a reckoning!!!!!!!

183. Carol January 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

I am so frustrated with the new format. I hear the same so call news on my way to work (8:00 am) as I do on my way from work (7:00 pm) . I had a radio in my kitchen so that I continued to listen to KGO as I prepared dinner. Now I have to let KGO go. I’ve been a long time listener (1975) and enjoyed all of the talk show hosts. I even listened to KGO on the weekends. I knew more about the bay area weather and traffic than I did my own area ( Sacramento). When this change first happened I told my self that I would give it a try. I did and know I have let it go. I agree with Ruth Dorsey (above). Management made a horrible decision.

184. Terry January 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Bring back Len Tillem and get rid of the dude Ron Owens that tries to sit on a fence post ready to flop depending on who blows the most rw smoke up his ass. Big mistake making the changes at KGO. I have been a listener since 1971 while driving a truck in CA and the bay area, will miss KGO and its talk show hosts.

185. cpc January 21, 2012 at 4:04 am #

I’ve listened to KGO AM radio since I was a child. I’m now a “boomer”. My son grew up on morning/evening commute time talk radio. I worked at night, listening to Ray Taliaferro. I loved his Point of View, and his knowledge and love of Jazz. I always listened to his New Year’s Eve Jazz Programs. He was the only African-American in the Bay Area on a major news talk station. Now KGO has been gutted, and ruined!

This is California, not South Carolina. What are you people doing? Leave our traditions alone. Give US back our “old” KGO.

As for the Red Eye Radio, it sucks……there is no connection between R.E.R. and we here in the Bay Area. We want our own on air personalities back. If is “ain’t broke……”

You have tried to take away OUR voices, but you can’t. You aren’t paying attention to THE PEOPLE. I don’t know how Ronn Owens can still be working for you, when everyone else is gone. And, now, I’m gone, unless things change back, and change back fast.

BIG mistake, and you will loose money.

Loyality is a very important issue for me. KGO has broken that trust with me and the Bay Area Community at large. You had a great thing and you destroyed it.

Good Bye!

186. Carol M January 24, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I do not understand how this change makes any sense. I miss Len and Gil Gross, but most of all like the others before me I miss the format. All news all the time is so repeatative it gets boring and we stop listening. It is very easy to to change the station and I have. Someone need to take another look!!!!

187. sarah January 25, 2012 at 11:27 am #

what is wrong with the speakers on red eye.? He tells the truth.

Most americans are so uninformed and do not know history on those who

are out to destroy this generous and good country

188. sarah January 25, 2012 at 11:28 am #

I will definitely listen to KGO now. Most of the former speakers were totally uninformed. The truth did not matter to most of them

189. glen January 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I cant believe it I have been a loyal listener since the 60’s and just found out about the changes no one wants to here news all day I had all my radio tune in to KGO because it kept me intertain and informed now you lost another loyal listener because of stupedity bring them back

190. Peter January 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

My main objection is that the news and some of the commentators no longer discuss issues. They lay down platitudes and accusations and provide no substantiation or thought like the previous hosts. If I want ranting and unsubstantiated accusations and name calling, I’ll listen to KSFO, Limbaugh, and Hannity. What I miss most is the food-for-thought approach and the concerned, compassionate, and engaged feeling of the recently dumped team. What would Pete Wilson have thought about all this. Owners of KGO, you’ve lost another listener. In you attempt to call more people back from satellite radio, you’ve driven me to it.

191. Michel January 29, 2012 at 1:30 am #

i can’t believe this. this is disgraceful

I am a disabled vet I spent 10 months in Iraq which

can only be described as going to hell and back

how can they do this to us “Mr fox “news Ron Owens gets to stay

I guess it shows us money rules this

country. i suffer from PTSD and wake from nightmares sweating,screaming.

most nights I’m afraid to sleep and Mr Ray Taliaferro

gets me through. my god I’m so upset

I could cry. I actually feel betrayed you’ve no idea what you’ve

done to me yeah its personal this has affected my already crummy life.where do we go from here?

192. Pimpdawghabt the third January 29, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Whatever the reason you fired your host that I have been listening to for years…Especially Gene Burns, NOW YOU SUCK…..

193. mitchell January 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

You:ve killed the king, Dr Bill. Been a listener since Robert Trevor had too many martinis.

comulos?? is that a brand of condum??

194. Dominik January 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Good riddance to the political, National Enquirer of the air – the KGO radio! That radio station was the garbage of all radio stations. It was all, about the liberal misrepresentation of reality, facts and life, about censorship, and above all else – being a flagship Zionist voice – a propagandist for the jews and Israel. KGO hosted: A pure, black imbecile – Ray Taliaferro; a typical jewish, congenital liar, Zionist, the mediocre – John Rothman; the brutal agent of Israel – Bill Wattenburg; the mendacious, wanna-be-European aristocrat – Gene Burns. All other hosts were/are pure mediocrity. The actual reason of the declining listenership rates of the KGO, was that even the liberal Bay Area HAD ENOUGH OF THAT STATION’S DETACHMENT FROM REALITY.

The only good aspect of KGO was its powerful radio signal. That was the only reason I used to call-in its shows. I was that station’s, and for that matter, other Bay Area stations’ best Aryan caller. No other caller was a match to me in reflecting the racial realities and in attacking the Zionist agenda and lies. The “libertarian” Burns even banned me from his show – he just choked on my truths and on his own mendacity!

All major political radio stations in the US nowadays are just Zionist propagandists. People, who want the truth listen to such independents as the Worldwide Rense Radio Network , hosting among others the greatest, living American – David Duke.

KGO: It’s time to go down to the very bottom, now!

195. Beatrice February 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

KGO – you have lost me as a listener. Please bring back Ray T, Gene B, Dr W, Len T, to name just a few, and all the other program hosts that were so enjoyable to listen to. I now listen to 740 and other stations.

196. Jeff Sandoval February 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

I tried to get over the loss of John Rothman, Gene Burns, Dr. Bill Wattenberg, Ray T., etc. but there is not nor ever was an adequate alternative. Ron Owens is ok but does not compare. I was so proud to hear “out of towners” call in to OUR radio station. The loss is like losing the 49ers and the Giants at the same time. I get the news so many ways, I have not even been to KGO in 6 weeks and doubt I will return. The owners are about as smart as, oh, I don’t know, the Republicans that used to be candidates?

197. John Williams February 5, 2012 at 1:23 am #

I am at a total loss for words! This must be what it’s like to have people who are like family, people you trust and care about wisked away with a stroke of a pen. I fell like someone kicked me in the stomach.We will never forget the old format! As for the new one… fill in the blank.

198. jean February 5, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

I have been listening to this station since the 1970s And I just cannot believe what you have done. I traveled for a living and listen to talk shows all over the country and most are so right wing with one way of looking at things I just mentioned to someone on of of my trips how refreshing it is to listen to talk shows in the Bay Area, because I look at all sides of the issues. And also realize this world is about everyone not just one type of people. I will never listen to KGO, radio again. And actually I am embarrassed for all of Bay Area. A lost for words

199. Anthony February 7, 2012 at 4:55 am #

I miss Ray Taliaferro and Len Tillem. I started listening to Ray in 1986, and I deeply miss him!

200. Frederic Hoppe February 8, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Well with keeping Ron Owens there’s one thing Cumulus didn’t accomplish, raising it’s overall I.Q.

This station can no longer offer any credible advice when “they” introduce themselves by way of a lie, know one wanted another KCBS. Right-wing radio is in a slow death spiral, the demographics for listeners who like Rush/Hannity are dwindling. The old white angry racists male and female (mostly male though) are finally going to there “Plantation in the Sky”!

Thank you to all the enlightenment we once counted on from the old and great KGO and now to change my preset button.

201. Joan L February 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I used to live in the bay area until 1979. Whenever I was in the car (which was often), I listened to KGO. I live out of the area, but am down here at least once a month to babysit our Grandson. Again, when I am in the car, I turned on KGO. I was shocked to only hear news. If I want news, I will turn on KCBS. KGO used to have enough news, but I liked the talk shows. I listen to Ronn Owens in the morning, and then turn off KGO. You have ruined a great format. I will listen in the mornings when I’m down here, but then I will turn off your station. How sad

202. Freda Babcock February 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I can’t believe you have ruined a perfectly good radio station like KGO with

the garbage you have on now!!!! What was wrong with the way it was????

You had plently of listeners especially late night when people have a hard time

getting to sleep or just plain sleeping!!!! How are we going to know what

Bernie is going to do after he gets out of prison………..What a bust you are

now!!!!!!!

203. gerald king February 12, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I have only listened to KGO twice since Ray Taliaberro, Dr. Wattenburg and Bob Brinker have disappeared from your listing. I was a fan of KGO for 40 years and I am so sorry to see such good people gone off the air. Love all three of them. Sincerely G.C. King

204. Steven Hall February 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

The recent programing changes at KGO is a national phenomenon due to right wing interferences throughout the full spectrum of radio broadcasting, newspapers, etc. and tainted in favor of the propagandizing neocons which support global military adventurism. Overall its become a strategy to alter US national consciousness away from critical thinking and responsible logic, diverting public attention away from such things as 9/11 truth, unjust wars, the cornucopia of massive Government corruption and the world of the classified. In more ways than not the world is experiencing the same types of dangerous influences that precipitated World War One & WW2 whereby civilians and soldiers end up dying as the war profiteers walk away with the rewards of death and destruction. Whether people grasp the fact or not they’re being lead toward their final demise just like they always have throughout history, going willingly like hapless animals to slaughter and never understanding the true nature of the situation because in their pettiness and ignorance strewn lives they forget where they’ve been before and refuse to believe the big lies. . and they most certainly will perish in the process to wit new generations will fall for the same trap all over again.

205. jozsef February 14, 2012 at 3:44 am #

i do not listen KGO anymore. ray taliaferro gone. ho sad .he was my “hero”, i could not sleep, hardly could wait to turn radio on when he came. not anymore. no KGO.

206. Ron February 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

KGO management has made one of the biggest mistakes in annals of radio history. They fired the best talk hosts in America. I cannot believe that the management can be so stupid as to replace our radio talk host icons with the dumbest idiots on the radio. KGO has sunk to an all time low! The parent company is a sale out to right wing lunatics which are trying to slant information to the masses of ignorant people. For all you individuals who continue to listen to this B.S. wake up and stop listening to this KGO. They are doing you a disservice!!!

207. Denise February 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Are any of our long time favorites, like Gil Gross, Len Tillem and Gene Burns on any of our other local stations in the bay area?

208. Denise February 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Found it. 910 am. Can I get that out in Watsonville??

209. Carol February 17, 2012 at 7:18 am #

KGO has lost its heart & soul. I don’t listen anymore & am profoundly sad at our loss for both daytime & nighttime radio. Right on, Steven Hall. You have said it best & most accurately.

210. Bill Schworer February 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

So disappointed with the KGO management. After 40 years with my radio tuned to KGO it gets turned off at Noon when RonnOwens signs off

Radio 910 was smart enough to sign some of our favorites.

Bring back John Rotrhman and I will again listen to KGO

211. John miller February 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

This Sucks!!! I have switched to am 910

212. John Adams February 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

I’ve written to Ray Taliaferro several times over the past several years, and most recently during the Obama campaign with Ray going gaga over Obama, telling his listeners that the m,an was going to be a great president. I told Ray that the Obama presidency would take him down along with it, as Taliaferro would be asked why he supported Obama in the face of all the crimes he would be committing as president. I’m certain that he lost quite a number of liberal-minded listeners and contributors. So ironically, Obama goes from being god’s greatest gift to the American people, to being a “darky president.” It seems it took Ray a bit of time to realize that Obama was (and still is) not only an Uncle Tom, but an imperialist criminal in his own right. I told Ray that come January 20th, 2009, he would “own” the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I liked Ray’s show, even though I found his apparent efforts to keep the wolves at bay by constantly reassuring the powers-that-be that he loved America, and that the capitalist system was a beautiful system, to be somewhat nauseating.

I believe that Ray lost a lot of his relevance by pitching for Obama, and this made the firing a bit easier to accomplish. Getting rid of Dr. Phil Wattenberg was, for me, a very welcome move, and I wish I could have been there to see that tub of lard’s face when he got the news.

213. Michael G. Augustus February 22, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Here in SoCal we have enough ALL-NEWS STATIONS…UGH! tuned in KGO for better radio… then you, Cumulus Radio, come along and spoiled it! If our Government wasn’t so corrupt, we’d still have the limited ownership rule, and none of this mess would be possible. Can’t leave the State for a minute!…

214. John Adams February 23, 2012 at 11:05 am #

The annoying thing about “News Radio” is that it’s a loop that repeats itself every twenty minutes or so. And the “news” is the same mainstream media garbage that you’ll get anywhere else in the U.S. A national strike can virtually shutdown a European country, and the U.S. media will totally ignore it, though the New York Times might carry a three-sentence note on page 89.

215. ED SPOWHN February 26, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

i quit listening to kgo with the black racist Ray Taluferrow. He was disgusting. glad him and the child pornographer BERNIE WARD ARE GONE. What a disgusting pair!!!!

216. sam March 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

People turnoff KGO radio for good!

217. David Alverson March 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I have listened to KGO since about 1980. I am SADDENED by the new lineup and miss the great diversity on the station that I loved for 30 years. I especially miss my favorite weatherman Lloyd Lindsey Young.

Why did all these disturbing changes happen when it has been rated #1 for all these years??

A VERY DISAPPOINTED FAITHFUL LISTENER.

218. Douglas Brown March 19, 2012 at 12:24 am #

I have listened to KGO for over 50 years. I am stunned by the changes. I will miss Gene Burns and Bill Wattenberg in particular.

219. Ron Carter April 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

KGO is done in my book. (Dr. Edel, Len Tillem, Gil Gross, Gene Burns, John Rothman, and others that I’ve listened to the last 30 plus years—gone & so am I. So when is Ronn Owens going to go the same route—WATCH OUT RONN it’s just a matter of time!

220. G L April 18, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I like the news talk format and listened to KGO for decades, but frankly, the slate of hosts at KGO were really inferior. I went elsewhere long ago. Haven’t listened to KGO in years.

Still, I always thought it was a good idea to have ABC owning both a conservative and a liberal talk station in the same market.

The news? News was always KGO’s weakest link, and the market doesn’t need another news station. It’s certainly an interesting move. KGO’s ratings must have been way off. It used to be the highest rated station in the Bay Area by far, year in and year out.

221. Terri L May 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Only listen to KGO from 9 to 12 now instead of all day. Don’t like hearing the same news story over and over. Glad to find out there is another radio station (910am). They just got a new listener…

222. PM May 29, 2012 at 2:03 am #

There’s lot of news on radio,TV,net etc but no show like what kgo had when information was shared with some truth. Firing of those experienced host is a setback. Many will find another station to tune to. KGO sucks.

223. Jan Smith June 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

You may have read this same complaint over and over, but I also have

been a listener for many years. I can’t say I liked all the “Talk Show Hosts

but it was informative and entertaining. I find for the most part your

continuous news format boring. I Like Ron Owens, it’s a wonder you

kept him on and a few others, but I find it all boring. Sorry.

J.Smith

224. Carl Karja June 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

This change of format has got to be in the running for the biggest screwup since new coke. I was a KGO listener for over 30 years, but that all came to an end with the change to the new format. I’m a truck driver and I listen to a LOT of talk radio. Traveling the I-5 corridor, KGO was there every night, and during the day while in nothern California. Gone are the people I considered my friends, Dr. Bill Wattenburg, Gene Burns, Gil Gross, Len Tillem, and John Rothmann. I’ll even admit that I miss Ray Taliaferro, When I was driving at night, I could always count on Ray to keep my blood boiling, Ray and I come from opposite ends of the political spectrum. Most of all, I miss Dr. Bill Wattenburg’s show. He knows something about everything, from running heavy equipment, designing nuclear weapons, working in the space program to how to fix almost anything. When its all said and done, we are poorer for the loss of the old KGO, it had a homey feel that is totally lacking in its current cookie cutter incarnation.

225. Jim June 23, 2012 at 4:50 am #

I’ve always listened to night-radio, As a kid in the ’50s secretly listening to New Orleans from Maryland on headphones; and as an adult listening to KGO from north of Seattle. Larry King, Art Bell, Ray Taliaferro – the masters of night-radio. I could say I even ruined my health due to poor sleep. Now temporarily on the east coast I learn that Ray and the others are gone. Huhhhh? Incomprehensible.

226. russell bidwell June 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

decades of listening to ray, rothman, and their audiences will not be in vein as i watch the slow crumbling of our civilization brought on by men not dissimilar to Mr. Burns, Homer Simpson’s boss. similar in lack of Heart and similar in being physically disgusting (Mitch McConnell)

compassion is the only sane response…

227. russell bidwell June 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

vane

228. Pete Mullen July 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

I’m sorry to say as someone who considers SanFransico my second home I must report the death of yet another part of the cities history. Having lived durring the hay day of the civilrights and anti war movement it doesn’t surprise me that the fascists would do this. Anything that might draw attention to the most treasonous diabolical corporate fascist take over of our democracy must be squelched. Sorry but that is how I feel. The facts and reality will bare me out. I’m tired of mincing words. This is a national fascist strategy that has been going on across the country for many years. We can still defeat them if we rise up and “fight back”!

229. Addis November 12, 2012 at 1:00 am #

Ray Taliaferro

you’ll be remembered for long time to come !

230. Mark November 24, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Depending on the host and topic at hand, I toggled back and forth online and my car radio between KGO and NPR, for more than 4 decades to get a broad spectrum of intellectual perspectives related to important issues. Now that KGO sounds like every other news radio station on the air, I listen online almost exclusively to NPR.

Mark

231. Mr. Bill December 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

If you really want to voice your protest: (1) contact the sponsors, voice your feelings, and state that you will unequivocally fail to buy their products and services (get ‘em in the wallet), and (2) file a letter of protest with the FCC. Gene Burns – with whom I’ve had a number of enlightening and delighting call in conversations – was my hero as I drove home from work after 7 p.m. Now it’s jaw flap, reworked, overworked and ad nausea tired yesterday drivel. I’m sickened and disgusted and no longer listen to the station – and I’ve openly voiced my vitriol for Cumulus with its sponsors.