Family Radio’s Harold Camping Speaks: End of World “Probably” on October 21

Judgment Day-themed Truck in Family Radio Parking Lot on May 12, 2011 (Photo: J. Waits)

Now that it’s October, my thoughts have turned to the pronouncements by Family Radio that the end of the world will take place on October 21.

As we reported, the worldwide Christian radio network spent a fortune advertising the May 21, 2011 “Judgment Day,” and its founder Harold Camping had to back pedal after the predicted rolling earthquakes and rapture didn’t pan out. Although Camping had included an end of world prediction of October 21, 2011 in his original discussions about May 21; he was forced to reconsider his biblical interpretation of the rapture and after May 21 described the events of that day as “spiritual,” rather than physical.

On June 9, Camping suffered a stroke and has been off the Family Radio airwaves ever since. His popular call-in talk show, Open Forum, which in the months leading up to May 21 was the main source for his teachings about Judgment Day, has been on hiatus and replacement programming has been airing in its place. Since that time, Family Radio listeners have only been able to hear archival recordings from Camping.

In the past few months, however, Camping has recorded two messages for Family Radio listeners. In his first brief message (most likely from August), he was upbeat and said, “I have had so many blessings in my own life…I really am so grateful for this opportunity to say hello to everybody.” By September 20, Family Radio had posted a “special announcement” on their website, stating that, “By God’s mercy Mr. Camping has been able to return home, where he is continuing his recuperation in the care of his dear wife. They are very appreciative of all the expressions of love and concern that they have received from Family Radio listeners.”

Following that announcement, a second audio message from Camping was posted on September 23, providing an update about his recuperation and delving further into his teachings about October 21. In the 6-minute message Camping says,

“I have been able to leave the hospital…and that has been very very comforting…There is progress being made…I still have a long way to go…I am particularly grateful when I hear about your prayers and your concerns…I do believe that we’re getting very near the very end…We’ve learned that there’s  a lot of things that we didn’t have quite right and that’s god’s good provision…

We would have not been able…to bring about the tremendous event that occurred on May 21 of this year, which probably be finished out on October 21 that’s coming very shortly. That looks like it will be at this point it looks like it will be the final end of everything. It also looks like that as god is developing the details for us we are learning from the Bible god’s details of the end, we find that god ….he has no pleasure in the death of the wicked….

Probably there will be no pain suffered by anyone because of their rebellion against god. This is very comforting to all of us…They’ll quietly die…the true believers will quietly receive the new heaven and the new earth. I really am beginning to think as I restudied these matters that there’s going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very very quietly probably within the next month. It will happen that is by October 21…

Maybe god will keep me till the end also so that together we can go to be with him forever more and I am very convinced that all of the elect will definitely end up with the lord Jesus Christ in a very very few weeks. Thank you so much for allowing me to speak to you. I am so grateful and I wish that I were well, but on the other hand, I know my work has been done and I can wait on the lord knowing that he will complete it through others as he is so doing right now. Goodbye and may god bless each one of you.”

It’s interesting that in this message Camping allows for some degree of uncertainty about October 21, by using the word “probably” when he speaks about the end of the world. At the same time, it’s also a more somber message than his August announcement. Instead of saying “hello” to listeners, he seems to be saying “goodbye,” acknowledging his own mortality.

, , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Family Radio’s Harold Camping Speaks: End of World “Probably” on October 21

1. Brandon October 3, 2011 at 8:19 am #

The end is near (probably), so everyone needs a H. Camping University T-shirt. Get yours at http://designsbybrandon.storenvy.com.

2. Alex October 3, 2011 at 10:53 am #

Brandon, Are you stupid?!? The world will NOT end on October 21st!! Camping is a washed up old man!

3. Brandon October 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I think all along he has been predicting his own demise, not the end of the world.

4. Jim Radio October 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Then I’m heading to Borneo! Should be safe enough there.

Bye!

5. Daniel October 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

I think it is good for Mr. Camping to say probably. Of course, scripture says that no one but the Father will know. I believe Mr. Camping’s heart might have been in the right place to want to warn the lost. However, I never think it is good to make predictions of any kind because that is sort of divination and causes fear and worry and makes one too anxious to be faithful of the Word. My sincere hope is that when the Word of the Lord says “One day every tongue will confess, every knee will bow…” that this happens BEFORE the judgement. I would love for Satan to be completely flabbergasted that even in a fallen world where sin seems easy and so is rampant, that God’s children return to Him. I love everyone unconditionally and I cannot begin to fathom eternal damnation. I believe our Father to be loving, but just. God cannot be just and not punish unrepented sin. I only wish we all could be ever mindful of that and worship Yahweh wholly and believe that He loves us so as to send His own child as the scapegoat for the sins of man. I love the Lord with all my might and am sorry that I grieve Him with sins. Yet, I believe His word is true and that he would send His son to take my and your place. See, following Yeshua (Jesus Christ) and Yahweh (Our Father, Abba, God) isn’t about being perfect in action and deed but in faith, hope, and love. Love is the greatest gift and it comes from God alone. Be blessed everyone. Don’t fear the things of this world but be faithful and utilize wisdom God speaks to us through His word. When in doubt about the things of this world and beyond, ask He who made them so!

6. frank West October 4, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Camping was a faithful servant of the Lord for 50 years. It is a shame that he will go out in this light. Many other religious leaders believe that considering the hopeless state of the world, that we are living in the last days too. One would have to be a fool to not sense that something is very wrong with the world today. God help us all, either if the end comes on October 21, and especially if the world does not end on October 21.

• Glabston Sithole April 24, 2013 at 9:58 am #

The World is going to end on May 21 2018

• Bruce June 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Are you serious or joking ?

7. Harold Swimming October 4, 2011 at 8:27 am #

LOL Theist’s.

• Bruce June 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

You atheists are in for a surprise.

8. Andrew October 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Matthew 24:36 is all the proof we need that October 21st and 2012 is false.

9. Mayu October 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Deuteronomy 18:22 – If the prophet speaks in the LORD’s name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the LORD did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared.

Considering Camping predicted this same thing in the 80′s, 90′s, 00′s, and now 10′s… he’s 0 n 4. I think that kind of constitutes a False prophet according to God’s word in Deuteronomy.

I also don’t understand the whole concept that there is no hell. Did he even read the bible or is he saying the word of God is false? He claims the devil doesn’t exist… yet who tempted Christ when he was on the mountain? If Hell doesn’t exist, and the devil doesn’t exist… then Demons must not exist… so Christ must have been pretending when he cast demons out of souls. that was all a sham.. right?

For someone who claims to be Christian, he sure thinks Christ was a liar.

No hell, no Satan, pretending to cast out demons… and boy what a whopper he told when he said “no one knows the hour nor day (of the end.) Not the angels in heaven, nor the son… only the Father knows”.

10. Connor crofton October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

From what I know, the doomsday is not gonna happen, but the rapture still may occur on that day. I may meet up with Camping himself just to find out more detail on his prediction.

11. Todd Morton October 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

As someone else here suggested, in view of his recent stroke, the October 21st date of “the end” he believes is ‘probably’ coming, might just be “the end” of his journey here on earth – his own day of reckoning, as it were. . . . . give or take a few days or weeks. I feel bad for all the folks who gave hundreds & thousands of dollars toward his ministry and left their jobs because of devotion to his teachings about the “end of the world.”

12. Amwey October 7, 2011 at 6:33 am #

Frank West says “Many other religious leaders believe that considering the hopeless state of the world, that we are living in the last days too.”

That type of statement is what usually creates panic and causes people to make all kinds of doomsday predictions.

If Jesus were to come back because of the hopeless state of the world, He would have come either during the first or the second world war. Those two wars created calamities that the world had never imagined that they would experience.

Jesus’ return does not depend on the condition of this world, but on that of His bride’s, the church. He said that He is coming back for a glorious Church, that is, a church that is splendid, pure and holy; just spotless. Ephesians 5 v 27. Therefore, we need to allow the Word of God to purify us of impurities of the flesh.

When the church is ready, His bride will come! Am I ready? Are you ready?

13. Jose Antonio Rodriguez October 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

We all are saints by the Grace of Christ alone. I am not God to judge no one including oneself (paraphrasing and echoing Saint Paul). We all need to pray for the gift of humility: we are jars full of the Grace of God and we are Imago Dei. I see an inner awekining happening all around me preparing for Someone not just for something. That Someone is Christ. Let’s get down (be humbled) before we get hurt. We all are members of the Mystical Body of Christ: let’s see Christ in each other now. Let’s treat each other Christly.

14. Tim October 13, 2011 at 7:57 am #

This man was doing nothing more than trying for greatness and to be reviered. It was all about his agenda, not GODS.

He is in no way going to be respected by GOD and maybe GOD gave him that stroke to shut him up.

He cheated thousands of weak minded people into believing he had a connection with GOD. Shame on him.

How much of those 100′s of Millions of dollars he has did he give back to all the people that lost and gave up so much for his cause. Not one pennie I’d bet. Sounds like the work of the devil to me.

15. Harold Cunting October 14, 2011 at 4:18 am #

“There is no god, there is no god, there is no god at all. He who invented god is a fool. He who propagates god is a scoundrel. He who worships god is a barbarian.” – Periyar E. V. Ramasamy (1879–1973)

• Bruce June 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

One thing I do notice about atheists is their foul mouths and lack of morality.. Only an atheist would give himself the screename Harold Cunting. ..and Periyar the “rationalist” I could go on about him but I won’t.

16. chasbro777 October 14, 2011 at 10:03 am #

These are dark times of compromise and blindness. Family Radio was the place to go for truth(sic). In the late 1980′s Harold began his campaign of stealth control by eliminating one by one any and every ministry that dared disagree. 1994 was a fiasco that should have ended his nonsense. Typical of cults “new information” somehow justified the next round of “Time Has An Ending” May 21,2011 the Bible guarantees it! After 7 more years of milking Harold’s whacky calculations May 21st came and went. No problem it was “spiritual” and now one week remains until “probably” the universe is destroyed. Notice the ongoing duplicity of Family Radio who still asks for $$$ and acts as if Oct 21st is just going to be another failure. God’s word 2nd and 3rd John clearly condemns anyone who keeps listening to this “cult”. You are complicit and accountable. Hardly anyone is listening…..that cuts Camping to the quick. Be assured he will die soon….just watch Family Radio shuck and jive as they already are doing.

One man brought an entire ministry down. ” One sinner destroyeth much good.” Eccl 9:18

17. SadSadHarold October 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

hahaha!

18. Edward October 15, 2011 at 10:14 am #

God said not to look outwardly for the Kindom of God but to look within,

As Christians we have the Holy Spirit, who will guide us in the truth.

We dont look to man for our guidance.

19. Scott Russell October 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Of course it is not going to happen on October 21. It will never happen because the Rapture is a myth. God is a myth. People, these are all myths and you’ve been deluding yourselves all your lives that they are true. Free yourself from the bondage of self-delusion!

20. Bob October 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

I am completely certain that nothing unusual will happen on Friday. But I can’t help but feel a slight knot of worry in my chest. I really hate it when you fear something even when you know for a fact you have nothing to worry about!

I feel sorry for Harold Camping. I find it hard to believe that he’s not sincere. He’s 90 years old! What does he have to gain by faking all this? From what I’ve heard every cent they collected from believers went towards publicity. The only thing I can imagine him wanting at this point is attention. And I’d personally rather go unnoticed that become infamous.

I wonder what he’ll have to say on Saturday morning?

21. Tim October 19, 2011 at 5:49 am #

I feel sorry for all you fools that don’t believe in GOD. You are the people that murderers and rapest are born from. Just because your life is one that seems useless and empty. I hope you don’t have children to pass this negetive outlook on to. Camping and others who claim to have this bond with GOD are users and pray on the weak. But, that does not mean there is no GOD. GOD will punish those who used his name for profit, and I hope they are on display when I pass through the golden gates. Camping is a business man not a man of GOD, wake up and smell the scum-bag.

22. OKon Inyang October 19, 2011 at 6:02 am #

I prayed to God about Camping’s prediction of the end of the world in 2007 and one morning the Holy Spirit rebuke me for not just listening to Camping but propagating his teachings. The Holy Spirit quoted from Mat 24verse 36,that no man knows that day but the Father. HE said Camping teaching is of occult and not of God. When I had this revelation I didn’t write to Camping immediately but towards May21 this year I communicated the revelation by email to Camping via familyradio. I also sent sms to familyradio branch in my country Nigeria, telling them of the revelation I had from God concerning Camping’s teachings. No true Christ should listen to Camping as his teachings are not God’s. True to what The Holy Spirit told me, Jesus did not comd May 21. Camping a false prophet, not God’s. I say this to God’s glory, who in my hunger for the true gave me that revelation to warn the world about Camping’s heresy.

23. N. Nescio October 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

What’s really scary about all this is the sheer number of people who AGREE with Mr. Camping about how Real Soon Now what is claimed in Revelation will occur and “true” christians are going to levitate up into the sky to be with the creator of life, the universe, and everything while the world below will be destroyed with those ‘left behind’ suffering horribly before finally being tortured forever by their deity, and the ONLY thing that makes it absurd to them is that Harold Camping tried to put an exact date on it.

The rest of it makes perfect sense. Terrifying.

Maybe after waiting 2,000 years for something that was supposed to happen within the lifetime of the apostles (Matthew 16:28) it’s time to conclude that it’s not actually real?

The 21st Century is pretty neat guys, it’s high time you join us.