All hands are on deck for our first show of 2017. First up, Jennifer Waits reports on the planned sale of U Mass-Dartmouth’s WUMD to Rhode Island Public Radio. Then Paul Riismandel shares radio discoveries from his trip to New Zealand, including legal but unlicensed low-power FM stations.
Matthew Lasar wraps things up by sharing some great community radio sound nuggets he’s discovered in the Internet Archive, including Australian garage rock, The Meat Puppets and the 1968 DNC.
As a bonus we close out the show with a bandscan of the FM dial in Christchurch, NZ.
Please help us our work in providing college and community radio coverage seen nowhere else. If we don’t do it, it won’t get done. Make a monthly contribution to our Patreon campaign or a one-time contribution via PayPal.
- UMass Dartmouth Plans to Sell License for College Radio Station WUMD to Rhode Island Public Radio
- UMass Dartmouth Files FCC Paperwork for Proposed WUMD College Radio Station License Sale
- New Zealand Has Legal Unlicensed Low-Power FM
- Podcast #74 – Station or Static? KCHUNG Is L.A.’s Underground Radio
- Wild About You! 3CR’s Australian underground rock collection, circa 1963-68
- flashback: The Meat Puppets, live at The Mason Jar in 1984 via KXCI-FM
- WBAI’s Bob Fass, reporting from Chicago on August 27, 1968
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!