College Radio correspondent Jennifer Waits joins Paul and Eric to examine Nevada Public Radio’s bid to take over programming on UNLV’s radio station. They also look at bankruptcy, acquisition, and shutdown of the streaming music service Rdio, and what that has to do with terrestrial stations. Then Paul discusses why the Appeals Court hearing on network neutrality is important for radio, and Eric ponders rumors that Apple may do away with the headphone jack on iPhones, and how that could impact radio and podcast producers.
In Lasar’s Letter on Radio, Matthew shares his list of locally based classical radio shows and considers the “classical radio paradox” that comes with elitist assumptions about the genre.
Radio Survivor is a listener-supported podcast. You can support us two ways:
- College Radio Watch: FM Revival in Texas, Nevada Public Radio Eyes KUNV, KJZC Donated to Chadron State College
- Touring WLUW at Loyola University in Chicago
- Vote on UNLV Radio Station Takeover Stalled
- Rdio launches free service with ads from broadcast partner Cumulus
- Digital Watch: The Inevitable Decline of Free Streaming Music; FM in More Smartphones; Mad Genius Bows Out
- A Community-Based Classical Program List
Just one dollar a month makes you a patron of Radio Survivor. Help us through our Patreon Campaign!