In case of Rapture, Family Radio will be unmanned

Bumper Sticker: in case of rapture this station will be unmanned

You’ve seen the bumper stickers, and today at least it’s true for Family Radio. Their website has been unreachable all day, likely due to being overloaded with traffic. So that’s also made it difficult to get their online radio stream. So I tuned in to Family Radio’s shortwave station WYFR this afternoon (at 13615 Khz) and it certainly sounds like the station is on auto-pilot.

Beginning at about 3:15 PM CDT the station aired a half-hour long Frequently Asked Questions list about the rapture, including explanations for why the world didn’t end in 1994 as Harold Camping first predicted (answer: he had incomplete information, as indicated by a question mark in the title of his book Are You Ready?). At 4 PM CDT a pre-recorded edition of Camping’s Open Forum call-in show went on the air. The first caller was challenging Camping’s May 21 rapture prediction, making Camping’s subsequent defense all the more hollow.

Of course, I shouldn’t be surprised Family Radio is automated today. As Jennifer reported earlier this week, the station’s programming is “generally produced several weeks in advance.” Furthermore, the station gave the staff yesterday off as a holiday. Although the Open Forum program is typically aired live, we also shouldn’t be surprised that today’s edition is a rerun, since Camping told Jennifer that today “he’d probably be watching TV and listening to the radio to hear about what was happening around the world.”

6 PM local time is when the rapture was supposed to happen today. As I write this 6 PM has occurred in most of the world outside of the Americas and there’s no report of rapture (although some have jokingly connected a Icelandic volcanic eruption that happened this afternoon). Nevertheless, I will tune in to WYFR at 6 PM local time for the Florida-based station just to see if there is any indication that the big CEO has taken control.

, , , , ,

12 Responses to In case of Rapture, Family Radio will be unmanned

1. Oliver Klozov May 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

I know the secrets to life!

2. michael anderson May 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

well, maybe all the radio guys were raptured. so of course the station is unmanned.

(for the sarcasm-impaired, that was a joke. )

3. Bill May 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Do you know what Harold Camping and Cicada’s have in common? They both come out every 17 years and make an irritating noise…. By the way if you are still here and go to his church tomorrow to take communion, check your cup first for kool-aid.

4. Paul May 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

6pm came and went with nary a peep. I knew I shouldn’t have charged all that stuff on my visa card…

I was sort of saddened when they didn’t have any “rapture special” programming. Family Radio’s programming has always seemed stale and mundane, even for religious programming. I wonder what they will do now.

5. stanley May 21, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

I guess Mr. Camping needs to go back to Bible school.

6. James Shaw May 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

Still here in Toronto, still waiting with suitcase in hand, still no rapture yet..starting to think that perhaps they were wrong again but still hoping:(

7. James Shaw May 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

actually, it is 10:33 PM local time..what time is it in Jerusalem, now it must be after 6:00PM

8. davin May 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

WELL YOU DID IT TO ME AGAIN! I SOLD MY HOUSE, GAVE AWAY ALL I HAD, MAXED OUT MY CREDIT CARDS…THIS IS IT NO MORE!…HECK AT THIS RATE I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER HANGING OUT WITH DAVID KORESH AND MARSHALL APPLEWHITE CAUSE THERE NOT HERE ANYMORE…YOU FAG!!

9. martin May 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

i hope camping underwear is made of asbestos when he get to hell.

for false teaching.

10. Susan May 22, 2011 at 5:31 am #

Family Radio’s NYC area station, WFME is all static this morning. NO reception whatsoever. (As for yesterday’s sounding “automated” and having pre-recorded programming, it always was that way, historically. I’ve been an on-and-off listener, though not adherent, since 1978.)

11. kris May 22, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Davin,

Hilarious! You got rid of everything but your computer so you could post on this site. I guess you never really thought the rapture would come, because you didn’t get rid of everything. Which makes you even more of an idiot for getting rid of everything.

Yes I realize it was sarcasm, but not very well thought out sarcasm. 🙂

12. Kevin Vance May 22, 2011 at 9:36 am #

My question is: How many other radio stations played the REM song, “It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” at 6pm local time?